Case 19: Who I Really Am

I opened my eyes to find myself in front of bright lights.

I quickly jumped up and was stopped by two nurses.

"Easy Yato it's okay" A calming voice reassured me.

I turned to see the Chief sitting next to me.

"Chief? What happened? Where's Jimmy? What about the bomb? And the girls?!" I panicked.

"It's all over....you did it" He whispered with a smile.

After a quick second of silence, I snapped at him "did what?! Your lying! The bomb exploded! It must have!"

"Yato.....it's been three days, everything is fine," He said grabbing me.

"Three...days?" I mumbled.

"Your brother sent you a letter" he went on, handing it over.

I opened it and saw it had a pug smiling on it.

"I knew you could do it" It read with a collage of smiling dogs as the background.

"This one also came in just this morning" he added handing me another one.

"From Berry" It read.

I opened it and it was just a sheet of paper with a coupon for a bar.

"When you're ready to get drinks," It said under the coupon signed by Berry.

"Now.....tell me what you remember?" The chief insisted.

"It was the last day of the festival.....I was running......then I got in a fight with Jimmy and then.....Jimmy? What happened to Jimmy?!" I worried.

The chief calmed me down "let me explain".

"After your fight with Jimmy time was up and the bomb was supposed to go off....but it didn't, nothing happened, the bomb never went off and when you jumped on the girls you hit your head and went unconscious. Jimmy was contained and now is in court as we speak, Berry is handling the case".

"Jimmy's....caught?" I perplexed.

"How did you do it? How did you stop the bomb?" The chief coaxed.

"I.....I didn't".

"But the girls said they didn't do it, it must have been you?" He pushed.

"No, I was fully convinced that Jimmy had won, I accepted my death and shielded the girls thinking I could save them.....how idiotic" I laughed.

"No Yato, that makes it that much more heroic".

"How long has the case been going on?" I asked.

"It started about two hours ago, I know nothing more".

"Let's go see it" I requested.

"Before you do anything there's something I must tell you..." He murmured.

"What?"

"The real identify of Jimmy".

A cold wave struck my spine as goosebumps erupted from my skin.

"That's right, he was never the real Jimmy" I stated out loud remembering he was nothing more than a fake.

"He may not have been the real one but he was closer to Jimmy then I ever imagined" The chief grimaced.

I waited for him to continue.

"His name....is Jaken Kokoro, he was.....Jimmy's original partner".

"Original? But Jimmy was solo before I came?" I countered.

The chief shook his head "no there was one more...".