Chapter 13: Save Me From Myself

Song that inspired me to write this chapter:

Hurricane - Thirty Seconds To Mars

Valerie's POV

We sit down in the living room with Officer Campbell, dreading what he is going to say.

I hate feeling so helpless when my daughter is out there right now, in danger, probably terrified.

But Officer Campbell explained that there is not much we can do other than to stay calm and pray. He reassured us, saying that the cops are out there looking for her, and that we shouldn't lose hope.

But the look on his face right now is scaring me.

"Good news is, we know who took your daughter. Bad news is, it's worse than we thought," he says, looking through some files.

My heart is pounding against my chest.

Who took Angela?
And what could be worse than this?

"You were right about your suspicions, Tyler. Jake Nelson isn't who you think he is, who he claims he is. I had a feeling I had heard the name before. My colleagues looked through our criminal records and we found out his real name was Jackson Nelson. The criminal who escaped the prison a few weeks ago. He's the one who has your daughter, the fingerprints on the window matched the ones in the records," he takes out a paper, examining it.

I can't believe what I'm hearing.

Jake. The man who got me pregnant all those years ago. The father of my child.

He's a criminal.

And he's the one who took Angela.

I feel Ty's hand tighten around mine, as I struggle to listen, to keep the tears in, and even to breathe.

"Jackson was arrested two years ago after getting involved in the murder of his own brother, Teddy Nelson," Officer Campbell explains.

I'm suffocating.

"We found out then that he was the drunk driver who was involved in a hit-and-run five years ago."

My heart drops.

Tyler's no longer holding my hand.

When I look at him, I see him shaking.

I manage to find my voice before Tyler.
"Wh-what were the victims' names?"

Victims. The word tastes bitter on my tongue.

Officer Campbell frowns.
"I hardly remember, but I think-"

"Wilson. Barry and Jennifer Wilson." Tyler's voice is steady, calm.

He's not shaking anymore.

"Yes," Officer Campbell nods, realization clear on his face.

Tyler suddenly stands up, his hands in his messy hair, and walks to the kitchen.

"Excuse us," I say to the officer, and he nods.

I follow Tyler to the kitchen, to find him leaning against the fridge, his hands covering his eyes.