Chapter 16: Found

Song that inspired me to write this chapter:

Terrible love - Birdy

Valerie's POV

Once we're there, I rush inside, Tyler close behind, my parents following us.

I was right.

She's there. Sitting in the exact same corner I sat in that night, holding Fortitude tightly against her chest, her face buried in her knees.

Her quiet sobs break my heart.

Once again, I am reminded of that night, when Dad kicked me out after hearing about the pregnancy.

That was the night I found out about this place. This old, dust, abandoned house in the neighborhood.

The house I spent hours crying in, thinking that my life was over.

In this same corner, where my daughter is sitting right now, I found Fortitude.
I held him against me like she is now, and I felt the smallest bit of courage build up inside of me again.

Before I know it, tears are streaming down my face as I'm kneeling next to my crying daughter.

I carefully lay my hand on her shoulder, as she lifts her head to look at me.
Her eyes are red as if she's been crying for hours, and she feels cold. She was trembling.

How long has she been in here? Alone, in the dark?

Seeing her like that pains me, it's almost unbearable.

I quickly look at Tyler, and he takes off his jacket and wraps it around her frail body.

I take her in my arms, and she starts crying against my shoulder, holding Fortitude tight between the both of us.

"Shh, it's okay baby. It's okay, I'm here. We're here," I try and comfort her, slowly rocking her back and forth.

I glance at my parents, who are quietly watching us, small but thankful smiles spread on their lips.

One look at Tyler, and he nods at me, understanding exactly what I'm asking of him.

He turns to my parents, telling  them to follow him home, to leave Angie and me alone for a while.

Once they're gone and Angela's calmed down, we sit in the corner of the dusty, empty room, our backs against the wall.

I hold her small hand in mine, as she puts her head against my shoulder, staring straight ahead, like me.

Her free hand is holding on to Fortitude, never letting go.

"Why?" I finally break the silence.

She takes a few minutes to answer my question, as if she's trying to think of an easy way to say what she wants to say.

"I was scared," she surprises me by saying.

I turn to look her in the eyes, searching for the complete and honest truth.

"Scared of what?"