Chapter 14: Make a wish

Song that inspired me to write this chapter:

Hunger - Ross Copperman

Valerie's POV

A week later, nothing has changed.

Angela is still sleeping in our bed, scared of every sound she hears, and every shadow she claims to see in her room at night.

Tyler's still trying to get over the fact that he almost killed a man in front of the police, his daughter and me, a week ago.

And I'm still having nightmares every night.
Jake's crooked smile is still tormenting me every time I close my eyes. I can still hear his voice in my head, I can still hear him saying Angela's name, and yelling at Tyler to kill him.

I wake up Saturday night around 3 a.m, shaking and sweating, for what feels like the hundredth time ever since that terrible night.

Tyler stirs and slowly opens his eyes, rubbing them, sits up and looks over at me with a concerned frown.

"Again?" He whispers, slowly taking my hand in his, careful not to wake Angie up.

"Yeah." I sigh, squeezing his soft hand.

"I think you should go and see him. You know, for closure," he shocks me by saying.

"What? Are you serious?" I ask, clearly taken aback by his sudden proposition.

He nods.
"I mean, there's no other way you'll be able to move on."

Maybe he was right.

"But what about you? What about-"

"Angie? Seeing him would only scare her more, and remind her of that terrible night. Let's not forget that she was the one who was kidnapped. And me, well, I'm pretty sure if I see that jackass one more time, I'd finish what I started that night. Better you go and just see him. And even though I hate it, it's the only solution. And I'll be there, waiting for you outside," he reassures me, squeezing my hand.

He's right. He's always right. And I love him.

"Promise?" I ask, smiling at him.

"Promise."

The next morning, I wake up to the delicious smell of pancakes, and I immediately get out of bed and join Tyler and Angela in the kitchen.

I've always loved to watch him cook, especially with Angela sitting on my lap, admiring her dad's pancake cooking skills.

"Morning, honey." I kiss his cheek, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

"Morning baby," he says, a bright smile on his face.

It's only when I see this smile, that I feel like the night last week never happened.
It's also when I hear her energetic voice.

"Good morning, Mommy!" she practically screams, wrapping her arms around my middle, as I bend down and kiss her forehead.

"Someone's in a good mood today! How's my little girl?"

"I'm good, Mommy! But I'm hungry! And Daddy's making my favorite breakfast!" She jumps up and down excitedly, and I can't help the smile on my face.