Chapter 5: Counting Stars

Song that inspired me to write this chapter:

Yellow - Coldplay

Valerie's POV

After spending the afternoon chatting, playing with Angela, and watching her ride her bike like a pro, my parents leave, promising Angela to come by whenever they can.

I close the front door, a deep sigh escaping my mouth.

"You're okay, baby?" Ty asks with a concerned tone.

He knows exactly how I'm feeling.
And he asks anyway, because he also knows how I feel better after talking about it with him.

For the longest time, I have been so closed off about everything. I found it really hard trusting anyone, even Tyler at first. But it was still easier with him. It always is.

He simply knows me better than anyone else, even better than I know myself.

"Yeah. It's just still hard, you know. Even two years later. Is it wrong if I still feel that way?"

"It's alright, Val. It's not supposed to be easy. You forgave them, and that's something most people wouldn't have had the courage to do. So feeling like this is anything but wrong. Even now, especially now. Trust me."

I feel relieved after hearing his words.

He hugs me, and I press my cheek against his chest, listening to his heartbeat, taking in his all too familiar, and incredible scent.

"I love you. You know that, right?"

He answers me with a deep, passionate kiss that leaves me weak in the knees.

"Now, since you claim you love me so much, can I-"

"Oh, no no! You're doing the dishes tonight, no excuses!" I laugh as he makes one of his funny faces.

"I'm gonna get Angie to bed."

He slaps my ass as I walk away, and I squeal, turning around to find him smirking.

That smirk reminds me of eighteen-year-old Ty. The boy I met and fell in love with five years ago.

He winks at me and I roll my eyes, walking upstairs to Angie's room.

She's standing in front of her mirror, brushing her hair and humming.

"Time to get in bed, honey."

I tuck her in, Fortitude in her arms.
She can't sleep without him. And I love seeing her holding the teddy bear. It reminds me of how having it made the pregnancy easier. It's stupid really, but I don't think I could have made it without it, and without Ty. They both made me stronger. And I wanted Angie to have both, too. So that she can grow to be a strong, unbreakable woman.

"Goodnight, Angie." I kiss her forehead.

"Goodnight, Mommy! I love you."

"I love you more, my little angel."

Within minutes, she's asleep.
I stand there for a moment, just watching her, smiling.

The peaceful look she's got when she's sleeping is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I hate the fact that this look will disappear in a few hours, when she starts having her nightmare.