Chapter seven

"We need to ask you some questions"

The words hung in the air as I stood with my back to them, looking at my friend dying right before my eyes. I considered kissing him, but then everyone would know I was gay. Which was a bad thing.. I'd probably be kicked off the football team.

I reluctantly turned around. I stepped out of the ambulance and looked back one last time, before walking away with the policemen

We walked into the campus leaders office, I sat down with my hands on my lap, unable to sit still. He was dying. He was dying.

"We have a few routine questions to ask, then you're free to go with your boyfriend"

I stared at them in disbelief how did they know? I didn't deny it. I couldn't. I just blushed and nodded my head.

"Okay, when did you find him?"

I thought for a bit before answering.

"Around 8:50am"

They nodded and noted it down.

"Why were you with him?"

I gulped.

"Some bullies attacked us, so I tried to stop them. He managed to stab an injection into them to sedate them. And.. And i confessed my love and ran away. When I came back he was.."

I didn't realise I was crying until a drop of water hit my hand. The policemen sat silently as my eyes filled with tears.

"We understand. We are sorry for your loss"

The words hit me like a truck. I looked up at them with the tears burning my eyes and clenched my jaw.

"Say that to me when he dies"

I burst into tears and ran out of the door and into the middle of the campus where some of my football team members consoled me.

"We don't care that you're gay, John"

I looked up at the voice, and smiled greatfully.

"Thank you"

My voice came out as barely a whisper. I decided to drag myself to my dorm. When I got inside I broke down, even more so. He was dying. And it was my fault for running away like a coward. The sadness soon turned into raging anger. I threw my stuff around, screaming. Some people actually came in to check on me, they tried to stop me from hurting myself. But I couldn't stop. I couldn't stop.

I wouldn't let him die. I wouldn't do it. I'd followed him for so long, he was within my grasp and he was ripped away..

Just like my girlfriend five years ago.