Chapter thirteen

Once I reached the forest I knew i was safe. They'd never find me. I slept until the morning sun arose in the sky, shining on my face. I quickly stood, shaking my head. I needed to go to John. I crept from my hiding place, and deduced if anyone was home. Nobody. John was. He never left. So, I used the remaining card to write a note and slid it under the door. I waited.

I waited for so long. Not one single letter nor one sound of footsteps. I slowly trudged back to the forest, heartbroken.

This carried on for days, i would go to talk and he'd never be there.

Then one day, maybe a week after, a note slid through the door.

Are you trying to contact John?

I felt my heart stutter.

Yes

I heard a long sigh, then a note was pushed under the door.

He's dead. He killed himself. I'd open the door, but I don't know who you are

I felt my heart completely shatter. How, how could he be dead?

How? Why? When?

I heard another sigh and the door opened.

A girl with short brown hair and glasses was standing in front of me. Her hand flew to her mouth as she realised who I was, and suddenly she hugged me. She clung to me as she sobbed.

"He loved you so much, he... He didn't think..."

I tried to calm her, I tried to tell her it would be okay. I didn't know who she was.

"I- I'm Harriet. I'm his sister"

She invited me in.

"I shouldn't be here, I did something awful"

She slowly nodded.

"I know, everyone is after you"

She made us coffee and set it on the table. I sat down slowly, making sure not to make too much noise. She was frail and vulnerable, her hands shaking.

"You're real name is William"

I almost spat out my coffee. How, how did she know? John never knew, so how could she?

"How do you know?"

She smiled into her cup, sipping it slowly and putting it down.

"Your funeral, Sherlock. They called you William Scott"

I frowned and looked up at her.

"Why?"

She put down her cup and looked at me.

"Because, we all know what you have done Sherlock, but you saved our John and we wanted you to know that. We paid you back with the police not knowing who you really were, they think the person they are looking for is William Scott. You are a free man"

The words hit me like a ton of bricks. No. That means, that means I could have been with John. I had a chance with him. We could have grown up together. We could have done so many things. John. John.

The door creaked open, Harriet had a big grin on her face. I turned to see....
John?