Chapter 8 - Lift Off

The day had arrived. Mrs.Osborne's entry in Gray's room was useless, for her teenage daughter had hardly slept all night.
She got dressed mechanically and took her suitcase. She ate almost nothing for breakfast and didn't say word, her lips pursed the entire time.

"Sweetie, are you feeling alright? You're so pale..." her mother touched her forehead worriedly. "Nervous?"

"A bit, I expect..."

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll like it. Make sure to send us news."

After a family hugging session, Mr and Mrs Osborne left the house. Gray watched the car go with a big lump in her throat. Was she ever going to see them again?

"Hey." said a deep voice behind her.

Gray turned, startled.

"Han."

"Just wondering, where's that disguise?"

Gray showed him to it and Han got into a bathroom to get changed. Waiting, she walked around the sitting room nervously. But as she was about to sit on the couch, she tripped on something.

"What the -" she bent to pick up a tiny model of an X-Wing fighter. "Oh no, not again! Tom, you have no idea what trouble I got myself into because you keep leaving your toys everywhere in the house." she whispered this, afraid Han would hear her. She sighed and pocketed the toy.

"I'm ready." Han announced, walking out of the bathroom.

"Wow, Han. I almost didn't recognise you."

"Thanks." he smirked, forgetting she had been the one to arrange the outfit. Then he walked across the corridor and opened the entrance door.

"What are you doing?"

"My taxi is here."

Gray was taken aback. "You called a - by yourself? Wow. I'm impressed."

"You underestimate me, kid. See you at the station." He shut the door behind him.

*****

"I'll be fine, don't worry. Oh, er, thanks Grandma." Gray nodded, taking the box of biscuits she was being offered.

The grey van drove away to the New Haven station, carrying Gray and Tom at the back seats. They had been in the car for fifteen minutes, and a sign reading the name of the station could be seen.

"I'll go alone now." said Gray to her grandparents when they had reached the ticket line.

"Are you sure you don't want us to wait to see you off on the train?"

"Oh, don't make a fuss, Adelaide." said her grandfather. "She's a big girl now."

"Oh alright. Goodbye my little girl, take good care of yourself."

The old lady kissed her on both cheeks. Then Gray hugged Tom.

"When you come back, we'll both look for Han Solo, right Gray?" he asked hopefully.

"I promise."

They left, and Gray looked around. She saw the big crowd heading to the summer camp, and by coincidence, her eyes met the ones of her school friend. They stared at each other without reaction, until a high-pitched voice called out : "Gray Osborne?". Jasmine looked at the train and then back at Gray. She smiled, and Gray felt a hunch of guilt as she saw her friend stepping into the carriage and out of sight.

"Ah, there you are."

Gray jumped.

"Han! Stop....scaring me!!!"

"Come on." he commanded, turning to the exit.

There was a taxi waiting for them outside. Gray's jaw dropped.

"In you go." he said.

The taxi drove them to a great field of grass by the road.

"Is it here?"

"Yeah." said Han. "The guy - I don't remember his name, it's a weird one - he asked me when it was that I needed the thing. I said I was planning a trip and he said he'd meet me over there."

They walked into the field for a good while, and Gray was getting impatient.

"Are you sure you got this right?"

Han walked further and reached the top of a slope.

"As sure as that baby over there is dark blue."

Gray ran over and peeked down the slope. There was, effectively, a beautiful, glossy blue biplane. Between it and a car, a man in large sunglasses and a cowboy hat stood. Gray was about to advance, but Han hesitated, then blocked her with his right arm.

"Wait here." he ordered.

"What?Why?"

But Han had already gone down to meet the man. Instead, she sat down on the grass and tried hard to listen to the conversation. For a while it was just talking about the vehicle and how it worked, which Gray tried to memorize in case Han struggled with the plane.
And then, something called her attention.

"I hope you didn't get yourself in too much trouble with - "

"Um, sir, I'd rather we didn't discuss this right now, if you don't mind." Han cut.

"Okay, Walter, but just be careful, and pay attention. I'd do something quick if I was you. This could get nasty."

"I have it all under control."

"Alright, it's you who knows. Take good care of the plane. And watch out for the robbers, a lad tried to get hold of the plane last night." he sighed. "You remind me of someone, you know that?... Never mind. Good luck."

He hopped into his car and was gone.

Gray longed to know what that conversation had been about. Was Han in some kind of trouble she didn't know of?

"Okay, kid. Off we go."

"Are you sure you know how to fly this?" she asked when they were seated.

"Can't be harder than the good old Falcon, can it ? " he said, adjusting his helmet. "You have your helmet on ?"

"Yep."

"Then, let's go. And don't be scared, kid. The worst that can ever happen is - well, let's not think of that."

And Han started the engine like he'd known how to fly planes all his life. The biplane lifted off the ground. There was no going back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late update! I'll try to update more often from now on :)

I'd like to mention two of my most supportive readers to thank them:

BluePearl22

phoenix_demi_wizard

You're awesome, thank you for all the feedback and votes! It means a lot :)