18- Burned to the Ground

Scott's POV

After Mitch leaves I hurry to take a shower and get dressed. I quickly make a sandwich and take it with me to my office. I know I'm already later than normal and Esther is gonna ask questions.

''Why are you late?'' Esther's voice greets me the second I step foot in the office.

''Hello to you too.'' I say sarcastically.

She just crosses her arms, waiting for an explanation. I know it's not a good idea to lie to Esther because she can just see right through me. ''Mitch slept over.''

Esther's eyes widen. Her mouth forms a wide smile. She comes over to me, giving me a hug. ''You said yes to him! I'm so excited for you!'' She pulls away from me, practically radiating excitement. What is wrong with her?

''Uhm, Esther? Why are you so excited?'' I am confused.

''I thought you would never find a mate and then you found him, but it looked like you would reject him but you didn't and now I'm so happy!'' She claps her hands excitedly.

I smile at her excitement. Secretely I'm happy too, there is just still a battle going on inside of me. But it will be okay, I know it will.

''Did you do anything?'' Esther asks, a mysterious glint in her eyes. I can't say that I haven't thought of it yesterday night, I mean of course I thought of it. Mitch is so gorgeous and beautiful and I, especially my wolf, want to make him mine, but I want to wait too. What happens if the hunters find me now? They would probably know it. I know some of the hunters are werewolf and some are human. I don't know how they do that because exposing your true identity to a human is forbidden. But hunting people for their powers is forbidden too, so I'm actually not that surprised.

''We didn't. We just cuddled.'' For me it was enough, at least for now. I don't know about Mitch though. He said that he waited for me. Is he disappointed that we didn't do anything?

''Okay. But like nothing at all? He just slept over in your guestroom?'' Esther asks.

''Uhm no. We are in a relationship now. We fell asleep together on the couch.'' Esther's smile grows. ''And we made out. A couple of times.'' Esther hugs me again.

''I'm proud of you, Scott. When are you going to mark him?'' She really goes straight to the point.

''I don't know, Esther. The wolf hunters can immediately smell that. I don't want to bring him in danger.'' I look down at my shoes. I just want to kill them all off. But I know I would have to find them first. They are, like me, very good at hiding.

''Oh yeah, about that, I found some interesting stuff on the internet.'' She walks to my computer, turning it on. She typs some things in google and then urges me over.

''Look.'' She point at the screan. I look at the article she opened. I quickly scan over it. Apperently a part of a forest somewhere is completely burned to the ground.

''Okay?'' I don't get why she shows me this. This has nothing to do with the hunters right?

''Read it, Scott.'' I let out a sigh, reading the article. A part of a forest a few hours away from here, burned down to the ground. The thing is though that they can't find a source or anything. It's not hot there and they didn't find a match or lighter or anything. This forest is uninhabited and people hardly come there. Experts trying to find out the cause of the fire, but it looks like one big mystery.

My eyes widen. I look at Esther. ''You don't think it's... the fire elemental?'' That would be a good sign or not. She or he could be dead and caused the fire to try to defend her/himself or she/he could be alive. I hope they are alive and that they burned the hunters.

''I think it is. We haven't been hearing a thing for so long, it was about to happen anyway.'' Esther looks at the screan, deep in thought.

''I know.'' We stay quiet for a while. What if they really killed him or her. I would be the only one. They can focus all their attention on me then.

''If she/he is alive or not, there was a big fight. That's for sure. But if she or he really is dead, they would've found a body right? They left the body from the air and earth elemental too.'' Esther offers, hope clear in her voice.

''Maybe his/her remains burned with him/her?'' I don't know. I really hope Esther is right.

''I wish there was some sort of way to contact him/her.'' Esther says. I know that when I and the fire elemental are together we will be almost invincible. We can hopefully slaughter those hunters for once and all. Me and Mitch will be finally able to live without the constant worry of getting killed any moment.

''She/he is probably hiding now too, just like you. It's gonna be very difficult to find him/her.'' Esther says. She knows I want to find him or her.

''But I know how they think. I know what it's like to hide. I can think like them.'' I hope I can. I'm gonna investigate this. I'm going to try to find the fire elemental. hopefully before the hunters do.

Leave a vote, please! If I made any mistakes please tell me.