(4) Zee's Take

*(Zee’s POV)*

                That girl was a mess. She looked tough, and she sure acted it, but she was actually pretty hurt. All of her relationships had ended horribly. One of them had even tried to kill her! She was raised on a Cherokee reservation, but the people that had adopted her weren’t really Cherokee. She was forced to work in the casino by them in a skimpy outfit. She needed a good friend. Hell, she needed a good guy to stand up for her and take care of her. I knew Andy could do that, but it wasn’t right. He wanted to help her for all the wrong reasons. He was stubborn and I didn’t think he would change his view on her. He saw her as a way to get Marcie back. That’s not what she was. She was her own person. He needed to realize that and the sooner the better.

                “Zee?” Alisyn said breaking me out my thoughts.

                “Sorry, I was just thinking. I have a question for you.”

                She nodded, “Sure, what is it?”

                “If Andy saw that you aren’t his way to Marcie, would you give him a chance?”

                “I don’t know. He seems nice, but I don’t know him that well.”

                “Will you get to know him then? For me? I’m sure that once he gets to know you he won’t be the way he is now.”

                “I guess.”

                We weren’t talking about dating. Neither of us thought Andy would fall in love her. After all, she was Marcie’s sister. If anything, he would be like a brother to her. Between them, there was no attraction or anything like that. In fact, if there was anything between them it was only familiarity. I hoped Andy would come to his senses soon.

                So, now we had a plan of our own. We were going to make Andy see Marcie was gone. She couldn’t come back, no matter how hard we all wanted it. Alisyn and Andy would get to know each other better. I had a feeling they would be friends. Alisyn just had to let her guard down, if only for a couple of seconds. Andy was good at seeing those good qualities in people. That’s what made him such a good person. The only reason he was doing this to Alisyn, to himself, was because he was going through a rough patch in his life. When Alisyn and I were done talking I went back to the motel to Andy and Ronnie. Alisyn and I had decided that I could tell Ronnie. He was good with secrets. And how could I not tell him? He was my boyfriend! And he was an amazing one. We both put up with each other. Actually, we had both done stupid things, to ourselves and each other, but we always worked out.

                “How’d it go?” Andy fired as soon as I walked in the door. Couldn’t he just relax? I loved the guy, but damn! He need to be knocked our something.

                “You’re horrible, you know that?” I didn’t like lying to him. My eye twitched. How weird, that never happens.

                He rolled his eyes. How rude. “What happened?”

                “I’m not telling you.” I couldn’t help it, I cracked a smile. He looked so hilarious! He was like a little kid.

                “What?!” Oops, he was mad. Oh well. He can deal with it.

                “You heard me.” I wasn’t budging. I was not going to tell Andy our master plan. I went to sit in Ronnie’s lap.

                Ronnie frowned at me, “Why won’t you tell him?”

                “I don’t like being used.” It was the first thing that popped in my head. Andy got that pissed off rant look. So, I took the chance to tell Ronnie the plans Alisyn and I made.

                He laughed catching Andy’s attention, “You’re so easy!”

                He was talking about how easily I believed in people. “Hey! You should never tell a girl that. Especially your girlfriend.”

                He nestled his head into the crook of my neck, “It’s why I love you though.” He whispered in my ear. He kissed my neck and murmured loud enough for Andy to hear, “It’s true.”

                I saw Andy’s eye twitch. Poor guy, he missed Marcie so much. I pushed Ronnie away gently, “Andy’s here. Be sensitive.”

                “Sensitive? You’re the one who’s not telling me what happened!”

                Angry Andy. I glared at him, “Do you really want to know what happened?”

                “Uh, YEAH!” Smart ass. I’m not telling him what actually happened. Instead I told she didn’t want anything to do with guys right now and told him about her last boyfriend. He looked shocked, pissed, and sad at the same time. “I would never do that.”

                He wouldn’t cheat. I knew that. He was too nice, but he was doing unintentionally was almost worse. “I know, but no matter how good things get for her something horrible always happens. I don’t want either of you to get hurt.”

                “How would either one of get hurt?” Would he stop asking good questions!

                “We are going to have to leave her eventually. From what I know, she doesn’t have the money to go. She’s barely making it here.”

                “I could help her out. I’m sure Mary would too.”

                I shook my head, “She wouldn’t take it. Look Andy, I think it’s best for everyone if you just go home.” It was true. Alisyn wouldn’t take charity.

                “Me? What about you and Ronnie?”

                I looked at Ronnie. Damn, I need to shut up. “I don’t know if Ronnie would want to, but I think I need to stay here. Alisyn needs a friend right now. A real one, one that’s a girl.” It was true, mostly anyway.

                Ronnie looked between the two of us. “I can’t leave Zee here alone. Who knows what trouble she’d get in to.” He just had to go there didn’t he… Oh well.

                “If you’re staying so am I.” Stubborn Andy.

                “None of you have to stay. I’m fine on my own.”

                “How long have you been there?” Did he really not notice her? She had been standing there for awhile. From the look on Ronnie’s face he didn’t see her either. Boys, what can you do with them?

                “I’m not taking anyone’s money. Zee, I appreciate that you want to help me, but I’m fine, really. Andy, your sweet and you sure as hell aren’t bad looking at all, but I’m not what you want me to be. If I could make Marcie come back for you, I would, but I can’t. And Ronnie, you are one hell of a guy. You and Zee are lucky to have each other. Remember that.” Damn! That girl could be an actress. She had me fooled for a second there.

                “Wait, where are you going?”

                “Work.” And then she left. Andy looked hurt. I felt sorry for him. It would all get better soon. At least, that’s what I hoped.