Chapter 11

Chris:

            That following Monday, was me and Jordan’s first day back at the rec. The program was going to end soon since summer was almost over. Me and Jordan skipped down the steps to smell something really good in the kitchen. We walked to the kitchen to see Skye cooking up some breakfast bright and early. I hugged her from behind and kissed her cheek. “Good morning yall,” she smiled. She turned around and gave me a kiss.

            “Oh sookie sookie now,” Jordan danced. I laughed while opening the fridge to get the orange juice out. “Yall have a good day,” she said while putting French toast, eggs, and bacon onto two paper plates for us and wrapping them up with aluminum foil. “You too Ms.Hair Salon,” I said back to her. Skye starts her job today and I’m happy for her. I thought about what she said the other day about getting out of my way and moving out when she raised enough money. But to be honest, I don’t really think I wanted her to do that. I shrugged my thoughts off and walked out the house with Jordan.

            While we were driving to the rec, Jordan had his earphones in. I bought him an iPod touch the other day because he wanted something he could play games on. He was getting tired of his PSP that he had forever. He said it was a Christmas gift from Skye like 2 years ago. He was nodding his head to the music. He reminded me of myself so much it’s crazy.

            When we got to the rec, all the kids rushed over to Jordan that they missed him. We haven’t been here in like 2 weeks, I bet they did miss him. I dapped Kid Red up when I walked in the gym. “Good to have you back in here nigga,” he joked. I laughed and looked over at Mr.Clark’s office. Looks like I had to go apologize for not showing up.

            When I walked in his office, he looked up at me from behind his computer screen. “Look, I’m sorry man. I know I wasn’t here for two weeks but it’s not like I stopped being a big brother to Jordan. Him and his moms live with me now. They been going through some stuff. And I been going through some shit. It’s been a lot man.” He just looked back down at his computer and continued to type. What the fuck? I felt the old me before I met Skye and Jordan come out.

            “Yo, what the fuck? I sat here and apologized and you just gonna ignore me. Fuck that, that’s why I don’t do shit for people,” I fussed. He kissed his teeth and kept typing. “Fuck you man.” I sucked my teeth and walked out of his office and back into the gym. I saw Jordan playing soccer with Kid and Kid’s “little brother”, Tez.

            I walked over to them and joined them. “So, wassup with you and Skye?” Kid asked me. I shrugged. “We cool forreal. We not dating yet though. But it might get to that point one day,” I answered. He pulled me to the side while Jordan and Tez continued to play soccer with each other.

            “What Clark say?” he asked.

            “Man, fuck him forreal. He ain’t shit.”

            Kid shook his head. “So, Skye… how you feeling about her?”

            “Man, I like her. A lot. But I don’t think it’s right for me to be in a relationship forreal. At least not until I get myself together. And I don’t know when that’s going to be but right now it just feels like something is stopping me from feeling like I want to be committed to somebody.”

            “Nobody stops you but yourself man,” he said before jogging back towards Jordan and Tez. Nobody stops me but myself… hmmm.

Skye:

            When I showed up at the hair salon, it was already packed. Damn, it’s only 9 in the morning. But I did know that it doesn’t matter what time or day it was, hair salons were always busy. When the owner spotted me, she smiled and signaled for me to come over to her station. She was washing somebody’s hair so she couldn’t really greet me like it seemed she wanted to.