Kindness in his heart

I bowed my head, fighting back the tears that threatened to spill from their homes. I had to be strong for Kisame. He wouldn't want me to cry.

Itachi rested his hand on my shoulder, the other hand holding the pocky I dropped in the midst of my mourning. "Kisame wouldn't want us mourning over him. He died honorably like he wanted."

I nodded, agreeing with Itachi while also understanding the underlying meaning.

Itachi doesn't want me to be sad when he's gone. He wants me to be happy, wether it be with Sasuke or not.
-----------------------------------------------------------

That night, I couldn't get any sleep. Every time I closed my eyes I would see Kisame dying in front of me so I just gave up on trying to sleep.

"I'm trying to be strong for you, but it just keeps coming back to haunt me."

Hiss...

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a white snake slithering down my wall towards me. As it neared, I held out my hand, recognizing Sasuke's chakra on the snake. The reptile coiled around my arm and rested it's head on my shoulder, spitting out a note.

Nikki,
I'm on the move. I had a run-in with Naruto, but I handled it. How is Itachi? I need to know so I can plan for my fight against him.

Sasuke

Sasuke, you only think of yourself. Your brother is dying and you still think vengeance is the answer.

The snake nudged my cheek, somehow understanding my words and agreeing with me.

"I wish you could tell me how Sasuke is doing. I don't want to ask."

When I finished writing my response, the snake ate the paper and slithered away, looking at me one more time before exiting out the window.

Well Nikki, you can't just sulk around all night, and we all know there's not any chance of getting sleep tonight. Time for the kitchen raid.

For once, I agree with myself.

Pulling myself together, I quietly walk my way down to the kitchen. So far, everyone is in their room asleep that I've passed except Itachi. I didn't see him in his room so I bet he's in the kitchen.

I poked my head in the kitchen, noticing the fridge was open and a dark silhouette was casting a shadow on the floor.

"You couldn't sleep either?" The bored tone eminated from the slightly taller man as he turned to meet my gaze.

"Lately I haven't been able to sleep without having nightmares. Same situation with you?"

Itachi nodded, handing me some dango before settling himself at the table with enough snacks for both of us. I sat across from him, munching on my dango.

. . .

"Nikki."

The silence wavered as my name was uttered.

"Yes, Itachi?"

I looked up from my food to meet his watchful eye, curious of what he wants to tell me.

The man looks away for a second, then turns back to me.

"Since Kisame is gone, I was going to ask..." he trails off, looking away again to hide his blush from me.

"Yes?"

"Would you like to share a room with me?" A faint blush tints his cheeks and he reaches a hand behind his neck out of slight embarrassment.

I smile at his actions, finding it cute in a way.

"I would like that. Maybe sharing a room will help us sleep better." I smile brightly, the older Uchiha returning my smile surprisingly, and we continued to eat our snacks before returning to our rooms.

"I'll tell Leader-sama in the morning while you move your belongings."

Itachi turns and returns to his room, leaving me to go inside my own and attempt to sleep. Note the slight sarcasm. It doesn't happen. Sleep has decided to kick me out of its world for the night. Great.

Well, I might as well get my stuff ready now since I got the time, so that's what I did until the rest of the Akatsuki had risen for the day and most went on missions.

After Itachi left his room, I started to move my stuff inside. Once I saw the absence of Kisame's belongings, I tensed. I missed him, but I'll need to push those thoughts to the side for now.

I put my clothes in the spare closet beside Itachi's, and my weapons and scrolls in the drawer by the bunk beds. From the looks of it, I'll be on top.

After a few minutes of moving my stuff I was done.

"Well, it's nap time now." I yawned, shuffled over to the beds and flopped onto Itachi's, not really caring if it was his or not as I was out as soon as my face hit the pillow.

Itachi's p.o.v

"She can stay with you as long as I don't hear anything in the night. You are dismissed if that was all." Pein waved me off and after muttering a thank you, I walked back to my room.

Upon opening the door, I first notice that all of Nikki's belongings are here already. Then, I notice the passed out girl in my bed. How cute. Wait what?

I turn unconsiously, hiding my face with my hand to conceal the blush that must be flaring up as of now. I can't be thinking those thoughts right now.

Even if I did, it would only leave her heartbroken when I'm gone. I don't want her to be hurt because of me.

Sitting beside her, I gently comb through her hair and brush the stray strands away from her face. If only I slept that peacefully anymore. Then again, this is probably the first time she's slept like this in who knows how long.

"Hm... Goodnight, Nikki." I smile at her form and leave her there for the day to do a mission.