Chapter 4

It was the weekend and I didn't have any classes so I decided to sleep in. I woke up and checked my phone. It's 10:44 a.m maybe I should have brunch with Jill.

I texted Jill and asked if she wanted to go out to a café. She texted back saying, I'd love 2 go! Meet u in the parking lot! I grabbed my keys and headed outside.

I saw Jill and Ethan standing next to my car. Ethan saw me and said, "Hey Eli, did you invite Nico too?" His voice was pretty harsh.

"No, I only asked Jill, why do you ask?" I turned to him as I unlocked my car.

His face softened and he apologized saying that he thought I invited him too. I said it was fine but I don't understand why he was rude. There was no reason for him to act that way.

When we arrived we sat outside and ordered our food. It was a small café but it was really popular. Lots of people from campus come here to eat too.

"So Eli, what happened yesterday night after you and Nico left?" Jill asked me.

"Nico walked me back to my dorm and we said goodnight and he left." I told her as I sipped my coffee.

"That's it?! Nothing else happened?" Her eyes widened and she looked surprised.

"Why would anything happen? What did you think?" I remember the events of last night and Mason popped up in my head. I decided not to tell Jill or she would start to freak out and confront Mason which would make matters worse.

"Nevermind what I thought! Let's just eat." Jill's face turned bright red and I got the hint of what she was thinking.

Ethan and I started laughing when we saw her face. Jill looked down and started eating her food. "Jill, I didn't know you had a dirty mind." I said as I laughed.

"Shut up! I never thought of anything!" She covered her face with her hands, clearly embarrassed.

~~~~~

Once we finished brunch, we headed back to campus. I decided to go back to my dorm and finish my notes. I still had studying to do and a bit of homework.

After a while, I finished doing my work. I went out for a stroll along the lake and saw Ethan sitting on a bench reading a book. I decided to go and talk to him, hoping things wouldn't be awkward.

"Hi Ethan, watcha reading there?" I sat next to him on the bench.

"It's just a book for history. I need to do an assignment on it."

"Oh." I sat there, not knowing what to talk about next.

Ethan continued reading his book as I stared at the lake. I started fidgeting around and Ethan seemed to take notice. "Is something wrong?" He asked closing his book.

"No, I'm just a bit tired." I tried to cover up my awkwardness.

"Maybe you should go back to your dorm and take a nap, I'll walk you there."

"Thanks, but you don't have to walk me back, it's not that far." I got up from the bench and started walking away.

As I was walking I tripped on a rock. I was about to fall when a pair of arms caught me from falling forward. I looked up and saw Ethan's face which was inches away from mine. If I moved any more, our lips would touch. Thinking that, my body became stiff.

"Maybe I should walk you back before you trip again." Ethan smiled but noticed the position we were in and let go of me.

"You really don't have to, I'm fine." I straightened myself and brushed off my shirt.

"You didn't seem fine a minute ago."

"Fine, you can walk me back." I agreed knowing I wouldn't lose to him.

When we got to my dorm, Ethan stood at the entrance awkwardly. I started to fidget again and Ethan looked up at me. "Why do you always do that?" He asked me.

"Um, I usually do it when I'm nervous." I started to blush.

"You're nervous around me?" He smiled and stepped closer towards me.

"N-no, you were just standing there so I didn't know what to say."

"Well, I'll be leaving now. You're cute when you're nervous." He walked away and left me standing there.

I closed the door behind me and sat at my desk. Did he just call me cute? Should I tell Jill? I can't tell Jill! She'll be furious with both of us!

~~~~~

I wanted to take my mind off things so I decided to walk around. Of course, I walked to the lake. It was getting colder as the days went by so I brought my sweatshirt with me.

I sat on the grass by the lake. How am I going to tell Jill? I can't tell her. What's going to happen between Ethan and me? It might get awkward again.

Can't Ethan just stop being so awkward! I grabbed a pebble and threw it into the lake furiously. It didn't go very far. I sighed and laid down on the grass. Before I knew it, I was drifting to sleep.

I woke up and saw that I was in my dorm room. How did I get here? I know I was at the lake. I looked around looking for an explanation. There was a note on my dresser.

Hey,

You fell asleep by the lake so I carried you here. I found your key in your sweatshirt pocket so, I was able to open the door. You're cute when you're sleeping. Don't worry, I didn't do anything. I couldn't leave you out there alone, I was worried.

Mason

Mason!? He carried me here? Wait, what does he mean he didn't do anything? Did he steal something? I looked around my room to see if anything was missing. Everything is untouched, just how I left it.

Mason said he was worried about me. I guess he has a sweet side to him. Then I realized that he saw me sleeping, my cheeks began to flush red. That's embarrassing.

I giggle as I look at the note. What a nice thought. He cared for me.