Chapter Six

In that moment Adrien's heart shattered, those three words rang in his head as his eyes began to fill with fresh tears. Marinette didn't remember him, not even a little bit, and if she didn't remember him did she remember being Ladybug? Or anything? He took a step back and quickly wiped the tears from his face before taking a deep breath to calm himself down.

Marinette watched him from her place on the hospital bed, she was confused as to who he was and where she was, and pretty much anything. She knew her name and her parents and even remembered school but it was like she was missing a big important chunk of her life that she couldn't for the life of her remember. "My name is Adrien Agreste, we're classmates....and...well...." Adrien began but couldn't finish his sentence.

He thought it might be easier for her if he didn't tell her about the relationship they had, although he still had to find some way to tell her about her being Ladybug, one of the greatest superheroes in Paris. He still had to tell her about himself being Chat Noir, her crime fighting partner and he also wanted to tell her about all the adventures they had had together. That part could wait though.

"I should probably go and get a doctor, they'll hopefully be able to help you." Adrien said and began to walk towards the door. "Will you come back?" Marinette called after him, her blue eyes wide with hope and desperation. She couldn't remember him but for some reason the thought of him leaving her caused her chest to ache, she also didn't want to be alone.

Adrien turned slowly, his hand on the door knob and his vibrant green eyes wide, "Of course I'm coming back." He said with his usual Chat Noir grin although it was a little forced before exiting the room in search of a doctor. Marinette turned her head to the side to look out the window at the pale grey sky above, why couldn't she remember things? Would she ever get her memories back or were they lost forever to her? She didn't know but she hoped she would remember sooner rather than later.

When Adrien returned with the doctor following him Marinette was scowling at the wall, she wasn't angry really, but she was frustrated. At herself, at her memory loss, at the world in general. The doctor checked her over and did some tests before tapping his notes with a sigh, "It appears you have slight amnesia, for now it's unclear whether you will remember within a couple days, months or possibly even years we aren't sure. I'll run some more tests over time but for now just try to rest, you've been through quite a lot." The doctor said before exiting the room and leaving them in silence.

It wasn't awkward silence, it was more of a shocked silence. Both teens didn't know what to say but they were thinking the same thing, 'What if it takes years?' neither of them liked that thought either.

Adrien fiddled with the silver ring on his finger, the ring that gave him his Miraculous powers. He moved towards the bed and took a seat in the chair next to it, "Marinette there's something's I think you should know, and I really want to tell you but I'm going to wait until you're better and discharged from the hospital." Adrien said as he stared into her blue eyes trying not to get lost in them and also trying his hardest to not lean in and kiss her because that would be a terrible idea.

"If it's important why can't you just tell me now? Get it over and done with." She said, staring back at him, he was attractive and she had this nagging feeling that he was important to her but she couldn't place why. "Because I don't think you're ready to hear what I have to say and also because I feel like if I told you, you would worry." He said and tore his gaze away from her before standing up from his seat.

"You're making me worry by not telling me..." She mumbled, more to herself than to him as she watched him get up from his seat. "I should probably be going, visiting hours are almost over and you should get some rest." He said before making his way towards the door. "I'll come back to check on you tomorrow though." He said with a smile and headed down the hall.