Chapter Twelve

Chat Noir sneakily reached the people dangling over the city without Marinette, who hadn't taken her eyes off the view around her, noticing. Using his baton in his one hand, and holding someone with his other, he safely brought each person down to the ground and told them to get somewhere safe. After he had done that he went back up to Marinette, "What happened to you?" He asked her.

She turned around to face him, standing up and approaching him slowly, "What happened to me? That's exactly the question I've been asking myself, over and over, without being able to give myself an answer. But why? Oh that's right, I've lost my memory you idiot alley cat!" She started off quiet and snarky, but ended her words by screaming at him. "Worry and pain, are useless, why not just end everything now?" She said and swung her leg out to kick him but he caught it with his hand, but the momentum of the kick still knocked him off his feet.

He pulled her towards him and wrapped his arms around her, bringing her down with him as they both fell off the Eiffel Tower and towards the ground. She struggled against him but he refused to let her go, she went to reach for her yo yo but stopped, an image flashing through her mind, when Roger Cop had pushed her off his flying car and she had begun falling towards the ground. For a moment, Chat Noir noticed the change in her, and her outfit flashed from the Akumatized outfit, to that of Ladybug's, before quickly changing back as the memory passed.

Marinette grabbed her yo yo and swung it onto a lamp post, pulling herself and Chat Noir towards it, and stopping their fall. She then flung him to the ground by gripping his arm and swinging downwards before letting go.

Chat Noir rolled into a crouching position, and looked up at her, an idea forming in his mind, if he could get her to remember something, she would flicker between Akumatized victim, and Ladybug, and maybe if she realized what was going on, and overpowered Hawk Moth, the Akuma would have to let her go. Now this was only a possibility, but he decided he didn't have any other options right now.

"I will bring fear to everyone so that they all know how I feel." Marinette said as she hopped down to the ground and swung her yo yo teasingly at some pedestrians still hanging around. "Mama is that Ladybug?" A little boy asked, to which Marinette began to giggle. "Not anymore." She said and went to wrap him in her yo yo. Chat's eyes widened and he quickly ran towards her, scooping her up in his arms and running towards an abandoned alley, away from people.

The feel of his arms around her caused a similar memory to arise from deep inside her head, when Chat Noir had lifted her from the ground to save her from an Akuma attack, when she was Marinette and not Ladybug. Her outfit flickered, light returned to her eyes for longer this time, but it still wasn't enough, her costume changed back and she yelled in outrage, pushing herself away from him until he had to let her go.

"Remember who you are Marinette, the girl I love, Ladybug, the class representative, an amazing fashion designer, and so many more, you are better than Hawk Moth and his Akumas, fight it! Please..." Chat Noir pleaded. Marinette giggled, "And what if I don't want to fight this? This power? The total control I have?" She asked him, "That's just it! You don't have control because Hawk Moth is controlling you." He tried explaining to her, but she was having none of it.

"Well...At least under his control, I don't feel afraid, or the need to be someone I'm not. I can do whatever I want." She said, and right after a shock ran through her body, almost as if she'd been electrocuted, "Before you do whatever you want grab his Miraculous!" Hawk Moth's voice rang in her head. She nodded shakily, "Yes Hawk Moth." She said and turned her attention back to Chat Noir who was staring at her with a mix of pity and sadness.

"Give me your Miraculous." She said as she swung her yo yo at him. He went to dodge but she kicked him in the back of the leg, sending him tumbling to the ground, then she swung her yo yo onto an escape ladder on a building, wrapping it around one of the rungs and pulled until it came crashing down on top of Chat. The sudden hit from the ladder knocked the wind out of his lungs, giving Marinette enough time to run out of the alley and decide what her next move was.