chapter 6

B R O O K L Y N

I'm back home and about to sort my things to sleep at Jack and Conor's again tonight. Dad isn't home until tomorrow evening after I go to bed. My stepmum is here though.

I walked through the door and saw his things. As I got into the livingroom. There he was sat on his chair. Everyone was silent. I sat in my seat around them.
"Hi." They looked at me.
"Is everything okay?" I need to know what's happening.
"Sort of. We've been talking. A lot. You may not like this." This doesn't sound good.

"We're moving." That's not so bad. "To America..." Okay that's bad.
"What? No we can't move! No way! I don't wanna leave!" This isn't happening!

"I'm sorry but you've got to. Your dad's been transferred there for work and we've all got to go with him." This can't be happening.
"So..." Is he really asking for my opinion.
"This is hard for me. I just need time to think." I stormed off up to my room. This can't be happening!

As quick as I could, I got Conor on the phone.
"Hey Brooky, what's up?"
"What time am I coming back to yours?"
"Around 8 ish." That's ages away!
"Make it in about ten minutes. I'm dealing with serious problems right now and I need you both. And by both I mean Jack too. To be honest I need all of you!"

"What's happened?" He sounds worried.
"I'll explain when I get there. See you in a sec."
"Okay, love you."
"Love you too." I hung up and chucked my phone down.

After packing another outfit and pj's into my bag I was ready. I put my jacket and shoes back on then ran downstairs. They're all laughing and joking about things in the livingroom but I'm not joining them. Not today. I made sure my bag was definitely ready before shouting bye and slamming the door shut. It didn't take long to get to the Maynard household.

~

I knocked and instantly the door swung open. Conor was stood there with his arms open. I hugged him so tight. My eyes started tearing up and before I knew it, they were streaming down my face. I heard footsteps.
"I'll let you take over..."

Conor let go of me and Jack came over. He wrapped his arms around me and I wrapped mine around him. I cried into his chest and listened to his comforting words. He started lifting my leg.
"Jump." I did so and he picked me up. He carried me up to his room and we sat on the bed together. Conor followed us in.

"Can you tell us what happened?"
"We're moving." They seemed surprised.
"That's a good thing right. You said you never liked that house." Jack stated. It's true I don't like it that much.

"To America." Their faces dropped.
"What? No. This can't be happening! No no no! You can't go! Not now! Not ever!" Conor practically screamed.
"That was exactly my thoughts. I don't want to leave!"

"You can't go now. We've just got together. Its been 4 and a bit years of liking each other and only just telling that to one another. Now that we're together, we can't be! All because you've got to move to America." I can't leave Jack now. He's right, we've only just got together and they're splitting us apart. He pulled me onto his lap and kissed my cheek softly.

"Look, I don't want to leave. I'm 16 so surely they can't force me." I heard Helen, their mum, walk into the room.
"Sweetie, what's going on? I heard shouting and crying." I love Helen
"My dad just told me I've got to move to America. I don't want to leave." I tell her everything. She's always there for me and helps me so I can tell her all this too.

"Everything I've ever known is here. I've got all my friends here. I can't move schools in the middle of GCSE's, that's messed up. And mostly, I don't wanna leave you guys! Jack I love you! A long distance relationship wouldn't work. But I want to stay with you because I love you! I can't leave you!" I cuddled into him further.

"Same goes for the rest of you. You've all treated me like family and helped me through things. You're like my family. You've been there more than my dad has." I thought of something else.
"And what about my mum. She's buried here in England. I'm not leaving my mum behind." Helen came over to me.

"Sweetie, if it makes you feel any better, just know that I will always be here for you. You're 16 so if you get permision from your dad you can actually live on your own. Or with us. If you really don't want to go that bad, you can stay here." Is she serious? Of course I want to stay here. I'll have to mention it to dad first.

I decided to call him. He picked up quicker than usual.
"Hiya darling."
"Hi dad. I need to talk to you. It's quite important."
"Okay... Go ahead." This is going to be hard for both me and him.

"I want to stay here. Everything I've ever known is here. All my friends are here and me and Jack are finally together. Most of all, mum is here. I can't leave everything behind. So I was wandering, with your permission, could I move in with the Maynard's? Their mum said it was okay and to talk to you about it. So...?" There was a long pause.

"I don't know. I'm not sure how I feel, living in America while you're still here."
"Please dad. Please!" I heard him huff and sigh.
"Okay. You can stay. On one condition!" Oh god. The boys looked at me worryingly.
"Go ahead..."

"You have to come visit every summer, for the whole summer! And christmas. That can all be spent with me, right?" Every Christmas and summer.
"That's absolutely fine!"
"And bring the boys too. I know you can't be separated from them for more than 24 hours."
"Thankyou so much dad." We said our goodbyes and hung up.

I squeezed the boys so tight! This is a happy moment for me. But then again, my dad's moving to America. If anything happened to me he would have to catch a 9 hour flight to get back! It's not too bad since I've got Helen and Gary, as well as Conor, Jack and Anna. I know I've always got mum watching over me too.

It's kinda scary. I'm going to be living with my best friend and boyfriend. I hope I made the right decision. But at least I can stick with what I know and who I know.

I don't need to learn new ways of living or go to school at different times. That would be a downside to moving to America, I'd have to go to school on my birthday! That's not happening. I'm sure I've made the right decision but I'm still contemplating it...

(I was told i might have to move to Australia many years ago. Thankfully that never happened...)