five

"Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" 

- White Heat

{edited 04.11.21}

"So what the fuck is the plan?" Delaney panted leaning against the trashcan outside the Milkovich house

"Hit Mickey with a bat." Ian shrugged simply.

"And what about his brothers?" Lip asked his younger brother.

"Let them kick the crap out of me, 2 is better than 3."

"If you just start swinging you are bound to hit someone eventually." Delaney shrugged.

The two boys ignored her.

"Bad plan. How about, you handle Mickey and I'll handle his brothers, figure I can handle a punch better than you can." Lip jibed.

"Uhm no. Bad plan. The odds are not in your favor, 2 to 3, you'll both be dead before you even hit the ground." The girl protested.

The two boys continued to ignore her as the door to the Milkovich house opened. The three teens watched as Mandy walked down the street towards her group of friends standing near the L.

"I'll be right back." Ian sighed.

"Think he'll be okay?" Delaney asked her best friend.

"I think he'll be just fine. Come on, I'm starving." Lip smiled to the girl.

[•]

"Hi mama." Delaney yelled when she and Lip walked through her front door.

"Ah hello, my love" Delaney's mother smiled walking over to the two. She placed a quick kiss on the top of her daughter's head before smiling at her friend.

"Hello Lip." The older lady smiled at the boy.

"Hey Mrs. Rodriguez." Lip smiled at the lady.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Phillip, call me Helena."

"Ah alright, Helena."

"Very good! Now then, are you two hungry?" Delaney's mother smiled at the two.

*Four months prior*

Delaney smiled as she and Lip walked home from school, the two nudging one another as they walked. As she bid farewell to her friend, Delaney made her way up the front porch of her house. The girl stopped, something felt off. She was suddenly anxious as she opened her front door. Loud crashing echoed throughout her house, a string of curse words following. 

"Asshole!" Her mother screamed. 

"M-Mom?" Delaney called out, placing her bag on the floor. She began making her way towards the sound of her mother sobbing. 

"He left us. He left us for that whore." Her mother screamed. Delaney stopped in her place behind her mother. 

"W-what? Where's dad?" 

"He's gone," her mother sobbed, her hands clutching what looked to be a bottle of whiskey. "What am I gonna do? " 

Delaney stood as her cheeks became wet with tears, what the fuck were they going to do?

*Present day*

"Morning my love." Delaney's mother smiled towards the girl as she made her way into the kitchen.

She took a seat next to her best friend, leaning her head against him as she closed her eyes. She groaned in response.

"Morning sleeping beauty, here." he laughed, handing the cup of coffee he had been holding over to the girl. Delaney took it gratefully, sipping lightly on the hot drink.

"Lip would you like any breakfast?" Delaney's mother asked the boy. Lip shook his head.

"Oh no thank you Helena, I wouldn't want to intrude."

"Oh hush. You could never intrude Lip. You are always welcome over here, and if any of you Gallaghers ever need anything, our doors are always open." The mother shot back.

The younger boy smiled gratefully towards the older woman, over the years Delaney and Lip had been friends, he could always count on the girl's mother to be there. He had grown to think of her as his own mother figure, especially with Monica nowhere to be found.

"Now then, eggs or pancakes? You both need a good meal before you head to school."