iii. the beginning of the end.

( CHAPTER iii. )
    THE BEGINNING OF THE END.

          WHISPERS AND compulsively critical stares were the only things Iris received upon entering a sketchy drop-ship — besides the Arks dreadful machine hum of course

          There were dozens of seats lining the walls, all accompanied by strapped-up juvenile offenders. Both Iris and John were the last two criminals to be seated — probably due to the long chat they had with officer Callaghan about where they were heading; earth — and for that, all of the curious eyes were glued to them. Thus resulting in a pit of slight discomfort to churn in their stomachs, along with the nervousness they already felt.

          As they found themselves farther inside the boxlike drop-ship, they stumbled upon three empty seats; two of which they sat down in. The young Warren girl ran her hand over the mountains of dust on her chair before restlessly plopping down on it. The pod was old, you could practically see the thick sheet of filth covering the metal floor. 

          "Why do I feel like everyone is staring at us?" Iris murmured quickly, clipping the bright-red belt around her torso.

          "Actually," John started, lifting his index finger. "They're staring at me. I'm irresistible, remember?"

          Iris scoffed, gazing around the depth of the room as she muttered, "in your dreams, Johnny boy."

          She heard a low chuckle leave his mouth as her eyes wandered their way towards the pods door. An older guard pushed his way inside, the only door of the drop-ship being sealed shut right after.

          He looked nervous, at least he did to Iris. His hair was slicked back with a shiny gel, a waterfall of freckles flowing down the bridge of his nose and clashing over his cheeks. The familiar uniform of the Ark's guardsmen hung heavily over his shoulders, shielding his upper body. And his dark, almond eyes held a facade of determination.

          The brunette girl furrowed her eyebrows, connecting a strange glance with the unknown guard as he scurried his way towards her and took the last available seat.

          She smiled at him out of habit, earning herself a questionable look before a curt nod. He seemed a little out of it, Iris shrugged it off though and started gripping her seatbelt viciously as they were drawn into the earths atmosphere.

Terrified screams erupted inside the room, multiple small screens flickering on. Iris shot her almond eyes towards a video on the far end of the ship, the chancellor clouding her vision.