iv. in someones arms.

( CHAPTER iv. )
IN SOMEONE'S ARMS.

          THERE WAS A cool breeze

THERE WAS A cool breeze. It brushed against Iris's exposed arms, leaving a line of goosebumps trailing down the back of her neck. It was a foreign feeling but it was immensely admirable to the point of which Iris flung her head back, soaking up the sun as she sat shamelessly in front of a tall tree among the hundred juvenile offenders.

Faint chirps were heard in the distance, colorful birds soaring above everyone's heads in a long queue. Trees surrounded the drop-ship landing site, creating a sort of green aura, and the metal pod rested in the middle of the open area. It was mostly vacated. The only people inside being those whom were searching for things to use to their advantage.

Rosalie was seated next to her brunette best friend, stuffing her face full of nut rations that she had found inside the drop-ship. Rose hadn't changed a bit since she was fifteen. Besides the fact that she was even more cold-hearted, and had dozens of sarcastic remarks lined up in her head, she was still the same girl whom Iris had convinced her parents to let stay over at least four nights out of the week to help her avoid her own abusive mother.

The duo had met when they were only six years old. Since then, they'd spent almost every waking moment together. They would hang out mostly at Iris's house, due to her parents working long shifts, and just talk about nothing and everything at the same time. Hours upon hours just in each others presence. That was their routine up until Iris's father was floated and her mother became everyone's worst nightmare. Drinking daily became a huge part of Gail Warren's life after the death of her husband. She started working from home, ruining Iris and Rose's chances of finding peace in the process. And one day after getting caught for stealing a bottle of moonshine, Gail turned her innocent daughter in and let her pay the price.

In conclusion, Gail Warren wasn't the ideal mother.

In fact, she was a terrible mother. And if Iris even had the chance to see her again, she'd tell her mom exactly that; she was nothing but a pathetic excuse for a mother.

"How did you get arrested anyway?" Iris asked, a slight furrow in her brow as she scanned over Rose.

The dark haired girl tilted her head back, gulping down the remaining nuts inside the plastic bag before shrugging and tossing it to the ground. "I sucker punched your mom in the nose."

"You what?" Iris gawked at her friend before lowly chuckling to herself.

"She was talking crap about you," Rosalie stated, simply shrugging her shoulders as a large, dark shadow hovered above the two.