17 ~ The bait is taken

"Well?" Peter demands. The fairy's eyes are like sparkling diamonds. She's happy.

"She took it." Tinkerbell says gayly, flying around his head in quick, darting motions. "She took the bait. She now thinks Henry is needed to unlock the power on the island that will allow you to leave Neverland."

"I must say, you've done well." Pan sighs. "For once, you might have actually done something well. Did she trust you?"

"After I apologised for knocking her down." Tinkerbell laughs.

Pan shakes his head. "You are evil, Tinkerbell. I like that. Go back to the fairies. We shall see what the next few hours holds."

He turns and walks back to camp, hearing the boys practicing their fighting. In the middle is Henry, fighting proudly with them. Duke is nowhere to be seen. Life is looking up.

***********

I arrive back at camp to find lots of things happening. Firstly, Henry is fighting with the lost boys, and getting better with every hit he takes. I sit beside the flower tree, massaging my wrist, and close my eyes, thinking of my plan. It's going to have to be a good plan. I'm smart, but am I smart enough to out-smart Peter Pan? He has magic on his side. He loves playing games. Especially twisted games that involve people's lives. I have nothing but my brain and my impulsive sword skills, which make no sense.

And I'm holding some faith in the fact that Henry is going to trust me enough to come with me without question. Every day he's around Peter Pan and his lost boys, it seems harder to imagine.

"Don't over-think, it has a way of driving you insane." A voice says. I roll my eyes inwardly. The cut on my hand starts hurting as I remember yesterday.

"What do you want?" I'm hoping the scowl on my face is enough to make him back away, but he simply pulls out one of his arrogant smirks.

"Ever been flying?"

I look up to find him hovering above me. "Uh... no. Not with pixie dust anyway. It's kind of... not done back at home... because pixie dust is... you know... not there."

"It only takes faith, a sense of balance and the slightest hint of pixie dust." He blows some down to me. As it settles over me, I start to rise until I'm hovering beside him. I shake my head, not in the mood for flying. I don't travel well at the best of times. Even long car rides make me sick.

"Come on, it's fun!" He grabs my hand and before I can yelp in pain from my crushed hand, he takes off at the speed of a shooting star, until we're far above the island, up into the clouds almost. Then I snatch my hand back.

"Oooowwww." the groan escapes my lips before I can stop it. We float back to the ground and I turn my hand over to see a huge purple and blue bruise forming.

"Why the..." He stops short. "Oh. What happened?"

"Your blasted fairy." I grit my teeth. "Tinkerbell. She's meant to be lovely in the stories - blond hair, green dress - dazzling... flying around helping people. This is not helping." I glare at him.  How come all you fairytale characters don't stick to the personalities you had in your books and movies? Life would be so much easier."

"You can't fly like that. Here." He tries to grab my hand but I snatch it away. 

"Don't touch me."

"Come on." He nods encouragingly. "I know it hurts. I can help you." 

"Why would I need your help?" I continue to glare at him.

"Because you can't play the game well, now, can you?" He asks.

After another moment of me glaring and him smirking, I sigh. "Fine. But only because of Henry."