Chapter 9

I squeezed my fingers through the gap under the window and pushed it open slowly, cringing at the noise the cardboard made when it fell to the floor. I swung my legs through the window and flipped into the room. Turning I closed the window and put the cardboard up again. Then I placed my backpack into my wardrobe with my jacket. Pulling off my sword  and dagger, I pushed them under my bed. 

I strode over to the window and closed it, covering it with the cardboard again. Streaks of grey and dark orange peeked through the cardboard, streaking across my wooden floor. I sighed softly, and flopped back onto the bed, my wood brown hair spilling out around me, my eyes closed. There was a knock at my door and I sprang off the bed in a defensive crouch in surprise.

"Lyra?" Uncle Hetrays voice sounded from in front of my door. 

I brushed my hair out of my face, and took at shaky breath, before walking to the door and opening it. "Uncle?"

"Dinners ready, so you can come and eat it whenever your ready. Kayla's gone home to tell her mum your okay." He told me, his eyes flickering to the window to make sure the cardboard was there, just like he did whenever he came to my room. 

"Sure, uncle. Thanks." I offered him a small smile, and he returned it, before walking away, into the kitchen. 

I stepped out of my room, closing the door behind me and followed uncle into the kitchen. I found him sitting on one of your two stools, finishing off his dinner. He looked up at me warmly as I sat down next to him. I picked my bread and tore off a piece slowly. 

"How your hand?" Uncle asked, his voice concerned. 

I glanced at it, touching Narkuls' material softly under the fabric of my shirt. "Fine." I answered, "It doesn't really hurt anymore." 

He grunted in response, turning his attention back to his food. I picked at my own, eating slowly, not feeling necessarily hungry. My mouth still held the taste of raw meat and blood from Eridors vision, and I grimaced, plucking my water from the bench and talking a gulp, trying to rid my mouth of the taste. It didn't work.  

Pushing my bowl away from me, I angled my body towards my uncle. Taking a deep breath, I lied through my teeth. "Uncle, I'm going go to school early, so I'm sure that I won't run into those soldiers again. I'll probably be gone before you wake up, so don't worry if I'm not there in the morning." 

I held my breath as uncle Hetray studied me for a minute, before nodding slowly. "That's probably for the best."

I nodded, relaxing slightly, "Yeah."

"But make sure you don't forget your weapons and stick to the track." he cautioned, worriedly,"And I'd like you to bring you bow and arrows with you went you go outside. The more protection you have the better. I under the bench next to he front door."

"Sure uncle." I replied, slipping off my stool. 

Uncle glanced between me and my half eaten plate confused. "Aren't you hungry?" 

I shook my head, "No, but I'll wrap it up and keep it in my room, in case I get hungry in the night." As I said this I took out some wrapping paper and wrapped up the rest of the bread and untouched cooked rabbit. 

"Ok, but make sure you eat it if you get hungry, and put it in the fridge if you don't eat it. We wouldn't want to waste our food at a time like this." He said.

"Course. Goodnight uncle." I called over my shoulder, as I walked towards my room. 

"Goodnight, Lyra."

I opened the door and slipped into my room, closing the door behind me. I sat down wearily on the bed, looking down at the package in my hands. It wasn't really for me. I'd taken it for Narkul. It had to be better than cooking something over the fire.