Chapter 16

Lyra.

I turned my head towards him. 

I saw Narkul today. 

What! Where? 

He was gone when I awoke this morning, but I thought nothing of it. He returned in the afternoon, with a young man. He was unconscious. He told me that he went to see you and you were sleeping, and when he was returning he found the man on the side of the street. I was worried that I couldn't hear you, but when he told me you were sleeping, I resolved that that was why. 

I couldn't hear you either! 

I believe that Narkul purposefully brought me too far away to hear you. Though I do not know why. 

A sinking suspicion came to my mind. Eridor. What did the unconscious man look like?

I swore darkly as Eridor sent me a picture. Rivildor stepped forward, and Edward raised an eyebrow, questioningly. 

"What's wrong?" Questioned Rivildor.

"The elf child. The one disguised as a boy. Narkul got her...him...whatever! He got her out of the prison." Shock and anger coloured my voice, as realization struck me. "That's' why there are soldiers at the village! Their searching for her!" 

"What are you talking about?" Edward asked, stepping forward. "Slow down. Your making no sense." 

I took a deep breath, forcing myself to calm down. "After Eridor hatched, I was captured by some soldiers. Narkul was there, and he rescued me. I had a vision, before Eridor hatched. I was at school. I saw Narkul in the prison, trying to free the elf child, but it didn't work."

"Whoa. Wait a second." Rivildors eyebrows were furrowed as he looked at me. "What do you mean you had a vision?"

I opened my mouth to answer but he cut me off.

"Actually. That's not important right now." He was pacing back and forth in front of us, and he came to a stop in front of Eridor, who looked back at him with his deep emerald eyes. 

"Eridor, where are Narkul and the elf child now."

I don't know. From the corner of my eye, I saw Edward and the others stiffen, before relaxing, and knew that Eridor was speaking to them as well. I went hunting, after I knew the unconscious boy was stable, and when I came back, they were gone. I was tracking them, when I heard Lyra call to me. If I hadn't started tracking them, I doubt I would have been close enough to hear Lyra. 

"Where did you track them to, before you came here?" Aldren questioned, looking intently at Erdior, who turned his head towards him. 

I tracked them to the river, but lost them there. I suspect that they deliberately ran through the water, so no one could track them. Even before they crossed the river, it was surprisingly difficult to track them. It was like their feet hasn't touched the ground at all as they ran. There was nothing to show that they had passed that way. I was only able to track them to the river, because of my enhanced senses. 

"There's no like about it. When elves run, they run so fast that their feet don't touch the ground They become blurs in the landscape. Invisible to human eyes. Only an elf, dragon, dragon rider, draug'nir or vampire can see them when they run. Even then, they are only a blur to them all, except the vampires and elves. " Rivildor added. 

"You said vampires." I murmured. "Is that what you are. A vampire."

He looked at me and his face softened. "Yes, E'scalit. I am a vampire."