To Let You Know How Much You Mean

[Gerard]

It was January first when we all followed a stretcher into the hospital. Bethany held my hand and cried, Mikey clung to my mother like we used to when we were little. My mom couldn’t cry, couldn’t speak, she’d screamed her throat raw when my dad collapsed. He’d always had heart issues, and we all knew about them. However the EMT’s tell us his condition may have worsened without the right treatments and observation. And dad never went to the doctors.

“Way family?” A petite Hispanic woman said our last name and all of us, including Bethany stood, she squeezed my hand and I squeezed back. A touch communication.

The nurse gave us a look unlike anything I had ever seen before and I knew it. “No,” I shook my head violently. And then she said it, “he didn’t make it.” Bethany buried her face in my chest but I pushed her away. No. No. No.

-          - -

Mikey and my mom had gone out together to do their mourning. I stayed home with Beth, who was doing her very best to comfort me and dry my tears, but it would and could never be enough to fix the hurt I felt. I felt responsible, but what do humans do when they feel at fault for an awful tragedy? They blame the ones they love.

“This is your fault, you know?” I said to her as she sat in my lap. She looked up at me confused, but also like she was ready to run. Ready to run like before when I was on drugs and scared her, it was that same petrified face. The one I gave her when I thought she was leaving me for good. I kissed her and apologized.

“It wasn’t your fault, Beth. I’m sorry,” I said, feeling like a total ass. She buried her face into my chest and sighed. I could feel her tears on my shirt. I felt so numb to them though, I put my hand on the back of her head to try and comfort her, the words to make her feel better wouldn’t leave my mouth. The death of my father was like a barrier between us. It was too sad for us to act like we had only a few days ago, and we knew it would be wrong. We couldn’t be us because we had to be my father, and be there for my mother and Mikey.

I kissed her head and told her not to worry.