1.1 • E n d s U p L e a v i n g

Evie

"You're a lying, untrustworthy bitch!" Logan screamed at me, causing me to flinch as tears ran down my cheeks making my eye makeup smudge and fall. The straps of my dress had fell down my shoulders and my hair was all knotty.

"It was just a couple of drinks." I cried back to him as he got in my face.

"Who was that guy then? Was he chatting you up, were you letting him?" I shook my head.

"He just asked me to pass him a cup." I lied through my teeth because the thought of Michael was nice in my mind and I was weirdly treasuring it. The image of Michael was in my head as the sharp slap cut across my cheek and because of my state of unawareness I fell frm the chair I was sitting on. That's when the kick came. "Logan please stop!" I shrieked moving into a ball position to try and protect myself.

"When are you going to learn, Evie?" He yelled louder.

"I'm sorry!" He stopped standing up straighter and I took the oppurtunity to stand up slowly, weakly and then he moved backwards and turned around so I ran out the door and slammed it behind me. I knew that it was a mistake, that it would make punishments worse as soon as I got back but I needed to get away, at least for a little bit because I had spent weeks, probably months in this house, with just him and I had a taste of freedem so I wanted more. I ran with difficultly but I didn't stop despite the pain running through me until I was a few blocks away from Logan. It was dark, very dark and very late but I liked that it made me feel safe which many might have found weird but I never really felt safe anywhere so to me, it made sense. I kept walking for a while until I saw a park, it was empty of course and a flash of nastalgia ran through me along with memories from when I was a child playing in parks with my parents. I smiled as I opened the creaky gate and moved towards what had always been my favourite, the swings. I closed my eyes and started to push myself, back and forwards gently, tears still streaming down my face because they just would not stop until I felt a presence next to me.

"Evie

"Evie." I had never expected to see him again so when I heard his voice I was sure that I must have been halucinating but then I opened my eyes and there was Michael, a boy I had met a few hours ago and didn't even know his second name but I was longing for him.

"Oh, hey." I choked as I saw his shocked face and thought about how disgusting I must have looked. "I'm sorry I'm a bit of  a mess."

"I think you're beautiful." He said bluntly.

I chuckled falsely. "It's cold isn't it?"He immediately stood up from the swing next to me where he had sat himself down and he started taking off the plain black jacket that he was wearing. "No, Michael I didn't mean that."