Chapter IV

Her scent still lingered on me faintly, barely there but still there. Her words still drumming in my mind; “…all you males disgust me. Has she had a run-in with a group of rogues? Did she witness something? All types of rational and irrational explanations made their way to my mind to try and uncover why she loathed male wolves as much as she did. Perhaps she was a lesbian, therefore uninterested, but that still doesn’t explain the undeniable hatred.

                A stray tree woke me from my increasingly elaborate theories and ideas. A frightened and slightly panicky howl made itself known, it was close. If I ran it would only take me ten minutes to reach it’s owner, and I decided to do just that.

                Catching the scent I realized it was coming from my pack. They needed me. They wanted me near. A feeling caught in my toes, it made it’s way up to my chest, raw power and adrenaline hit me. I threw my head back and let it all out at once.

                Nearby birds took flight from the trees, leaves rustled as rodents and other small mammals scurried off to hide.

                My howl was returned. I knew what I wanted, and I wanted it now, my pack. Adrenaline now pumping through me, I furthered my stride and quickened my pace, my tongue hanging out the side of my mouth.

                More and more howls broke through the night as I got closer. Desperation was now clouding me. My pack, my responsibility, my everything.

                Things started to smell familiar, even though I knew for a fact that I had never ventured out of  my father’s  territory before. The trees smelt familiar, the rocks smelt familiar, even the grass. I was home. I was in my territory.

                I kept my pace until I could hear snapping twigs and crunching leaves ahead of me. Furry bodies could now be seen through the trees. I stood my ground and puffed out my chest to appear more Alpha-like, I suppose.

                A grey wolf, much bigger than me, stepped through the trees to greet me. This must have been the Beta, for I saw multiple wolves standing a few yards behind him shifting restlessly, not sure of what to do. The Beta padded slowly to me, head low and started to sniff at my face. He started growling, obviously not satisfied with what he was seeing. My heart started pounding, what do I do now?! His hackles were raised, he was getting ready to pounce at my throat. He hadn’t even stated that he wanted to challenge me, he must already hate me that much.

                A small and faint yap came from behind him, then following, a small pup cam barrelling towards me. He crashed straight into my front legs, but he wasn’t done there, he nipped at wherever he could reach The feisty little pup only came up to my knees, at ear height, and only just at that.

                He kept on yapping, like he was having the time of his life. I lowered my head and nuzzled his tummy, he toppled over, squirmed around on his back before righting himself and making a leap for my nose. He just managed to lick it. Well at least somebody liked me. I laid down and placed my head on my paws to give the pup a fighting chance. He seemed to of discovered that like him, I too have ears, for he started playing tug-o-war with my right one. I noticed that the Beta was now sitting back and watching us curiously, observing how I react to the cheeky pup.

                Now seemingly satisfied that my ear wasn’t going to come off, the pup let go and trotted around so he was standing directly in front of my nose, which he then licked. I breathed onto him so he could become more familiar with my scent, he licked me again. The pup yawned and climbed onto my nose, plodded up my muzzle, crawled over my forehead and between my ears before finally settling at the nape of my neck, curling up and going to sleep.

                Nobody made a noise but the pup who was slightly snoring. The Beta looked down at me, probably appalled at the fact that I had acted like such a pup myself.

                “What is your name?” he had a deep commanding voice that was used to giving orders.

                “I-it’s Flint.” I said while starting to stand, careful not to drop the pup.

                “Well, welcome to the pack, Alpha.”