Chapter V

"S-sorry? I thought that, well, you looked like you were ready to kill me."

            "You're young." seriously? That was the only explanation he was going to give? Even though I somewhat expected this, it still shocked me.

            "So, why are you accepting me?" he stood and gestured me to follow. The rest of the pack who were still watching turned and took off at a quicker pace ahead of us, with the question of 'Who is Alpha' now answered, they seemed satisfied.

            "You showed kindness, which our previous Alpha had difficulty with. He avoided the notion all together actually."

            "Why didn't anyone challenge him?"

            "You fought him, shouldn't it be obvious? He had this, ability, it made him impossible to defeat, hence why our numbers are so small." I looked at him horrified, this man, no, this animal had killed so many of his own pack? "He wouldn't release any of us, so the only way out or to make a change was to fight. We lost many great wolves to him, male and female." He paused to look at the sky, "The pup on your back, Theo, was orphaned because his parents sought freedom." He slowed so that we were walking at the same pace side by side, he then turned his head and nuzzled Theo's neck. The pup whined, shifted then continued sleeping. "Thank you, for killing him." he said after a few moments of silence. "We are a broken pack, we need someone who can show compassion."

            "I'll do my best."

            We walked in silence for another ten minutes until the trees started to thin out and the ground became even. Up ahead rock formations could be seen from where we were. I could make out a few of the pack members idly sitting amongst the rocks talking, they went quiet when we came into view.

            They had all shifted into their human appearance, the pregnant female looked like she was six months along and seemed to be in her mid twenties. Her mate, sitting next to her, put his hand protectively oh her belly as I got nearer. Twin teenage boys sat closely together and appeared to be mildly interested in me, both were brunette and lanky. A seventeen year old female walked up to me, but stopped when she was three feet away.

            "Are you looking for Theo, Molly?" the girl, Molly, nodded and shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. She had bright red hair that fell to her elbows, I could also spot a few freckles under her bangs. I carefully shifted back to human, staying on all fours so that Theo wouldn't fall off. I reached around and cradled him in my arms. Molly came forward a few steps and stopped, she went to say something but closed her mouth. I slowly walked the rest of the way and handed Theo over. She mumbled a quick thanks and ran off behind a few bigger boulders.

            "Another orphan, and the twins are too." he shifted, now that his appearance had changed, I could finally see how old he really was. He looked to be in his early to mid fifties at least, grey hair, wrinkles, a knowing and worn face. "Kane," he reached out and shook my hand, "I'll introduce you to everyone and give you the tour." He led me over to the couple who still seemed to be a bit suss. "This is Adrian and his mat Izy." Adrian still had his hand on Izy's stomach.

            "It's nice to meet you, Alpha."

            "Please, call me Flint." I said with a smile, which wasn't returned. He nodded curtly and then turned his full attention back to Izy. Kane guided me away towards the twins, still leaping about and jumping over, and into, one another. Kane slapped a hand on my shoulder and gripped it firmly.

            "It's going to take some time before the Weres in this pack completely trust you, especially in this pack, in light of past events." The twins noticed us coming and jogged towards us. "I have faith in you, ah boys, now one of them is Mike and the other Jordan." these boys were mirror images of each other, impossible to tell apart!

            "Which one are you?" I said facing the boy who stood on the left.

            "Guess."

            "Uh, Jordan?" I said after scanning their faces for any differences, which there were none.

            "Maybe yes." said one.

            "Maybe no." said the other.

            "But you'll never really know." they said in unison, with that, they ran off to continue with their game. I looked at Kane for support.

            "I know that they seem a bit, creepy possibly, but they are two very bright boys, they're just still dealing with grief. When they were younger, they did almost everything separately, now, the farthest I've seen them away from each other is four feet."

            A strong breeze picked up sending chills through me.

            "Should we go inside? Is there an inside?" he chuckled.

            "Of course, you call them in."

            "What?"

            "Call them in, command like an Alpha."

            "Oh, yes ok." I cleared my throat, "E-everyone inside, please." I added weakly. I could feel Kane beside me inwardly groan. All who were outside looked at me sceptically but did as I asked. They all walked behind some large boulders, the same that Molly had ran behind with Theo. "Is it safe to say that I'm really not cut out for this?"

            "Give it time, give it time." He seemed to be talking to himself than to me.