Chapter 5: We're Young Tonight: Aftermath

Craig and Ellie told me the news next time I saw them. As expected, they talked with my publicist and worked out the perfect response in my next interview. They knew that if I went further and continue to push harder on this rivalry I would get more haters than fans. Instead, in my next interview I would praise Demi. I will say that I wish I could meet her someday, I will say that I love her music, and I will add that our music tastes are very different and our songs reflect that. I will say that I never meant to cause trouble between artists. I felt sick even thinking about saying it.

I called Beth that night and told her all about what they told me. She sounded as disgusted as I was by the comments. She asked, "Is everyone in the business this fake? I don't mean to call you fake because I love you, but do they expect everyone to believe this? It's so fake. And they go through all this trouble just for the promotion so your album sells well? It seems a little over the top to me."

I sighed, "I know! I hate this! I don't want to get caught up in all these lies and forget I'm acting. I want to stay me, but how can I when I'm trying to convince the world that I'm someone else?"

"I will remind you. Don't forget that you're not going through this alone. Your friends and your parents are still here with you. You'll be fine as long as you don't continue that act around us."

"I won't," I smiled.

"Good, now onto the next part of that story: It sounds like they want you to repeat everything you've been saying. The only difference this time being that you have to say it in a nicer tone."

I replied, "That's how I explained it to them too. I didn't see a big difference either."

"I think you need to add something else."

"You want to me improvise? My team will kill me!"

"No they won't," she said. "You will say what they told you to say, but you will add a few things. You can't keep repeating their lines otherwise the fans will see that you're just a product of your record company. You want them to notice that you were found, not made."

"What do you have in mind?" I asked.

"Make yourself more likeable. Talk about your favorite songs, your favorite movies, and your favorite things to do when you have time off. Talk about your friends and your family. Talk about something other than business. Otherwise, you're another 2D figure."

I smiled, "I like that idea. I'll do it."

"You may have to steer the conversation at first to get someone to ask about something else, but I guarantee you they will if you give them a hint."

I followed Beth's directions the next day at my interview. The interview started like all the others. They asked about Demi, my single, and my new album coming out. When I told them how excited I was for the album I mentioned that my friends and family were more excited than I was. That was all they needed to hear to then ask about my friends and family. "How are your friends and family handling your new career?"

I smiled, "They treat me like they've always treated me. My best friend visits me every day and my other friends visit when they can. My best friend listens to most of the songs before my team does. And the other day my parents had to ground me because I missed curfew."

"Wait, they grounded you?" the hosts started laughing.

"Yes!" I laughed with them, "I went to a party with some friends and completely forgot about curfew. I'm actually still technically grounded."

"Have the rules changed?"

"Yeah, they obviously have a little. I'm limited to my house, the studio, and any interviews and performances I may have. I cannot go out and do anything for fun, basically. For the next couple weeks I am strictly business."