Chapter 1: Another Angel in the Wall

"Carly Hennings releases her first official single off of her debut album titled, Another Angel in the Wall, and we hear a hit!"

I faked a laugh, "You guys are too sweet! You've always been so kind to me every time I come here. You have supported me since the beginning. Most of my fans would never have heard my music if you had not started playing it so thank you."

"Some have compared your music to Demi Lovato's. What do you have to say about the comparisons?"

"Are you kidding?" I laughed, "I love it, but I think we all know that I have a fresh new sound and lyrics to the industry."

"Wow, curious words. What do you say we get right into the song?"

I nodded with another fake smile, "Let's do it."

The look on the host's face told me that I had done my job right and encouraged a rivalry between Demi Lovato and I. I felt bad, but while walking to the stage I saw my manager give me a thumbs up so I did well. My thoughts of the rivalry drifted away as I sang. Music always had a way of helping me forget.

I couldn't feel,
I couldn't cry.
I just wanted you here.

I couldn't talk,
But somehow they knew.
I wanted you here,
but friends kept telling me,

"You've just gained another angel,
another angel in the wall
keeping an eye on you."

I've gained an angel,
another angel in the wall
keeping an eye on me.

I know you're here,
I can feel you now,
you're my new angel.

A stranger tried to comfort me,
told me it'll get better
even though it seems so dark.

I told him,
"I've just gained another angel,
another angel in the wall<
keeping an eye on me."

I still want you here,
but they keep reminding me.

"You've just gained another angel,
another angel in the wall,
keeping an eye on you."

I've now gained an angel,
Another angel in the wall
keeping an eye on me.

With you here,
I won't have a problem again.

I felt like I turned into a different person when I stepped on stage to sing. It felt like I was myself when I sang and every other time I was acting. I had an image to keep up, but when I wrote music it was just me and my emotions. I hope I could convey those feelings while trying to get them to believe in the person I acted like I was. My manager thought one was more important, and it wasn't the one I wished it was, but none of that mattered when I performed. I felt free. They had an audience and I reached to touch their hands as I sang. The smiles on their faces made me want to give them more out of the performance. I'm not much of a dancer, but I still give it all I've got every time I perform.

I almost felt sad when the song ended because I wanted to keep going, but the hosts went to commercial and I went backstage to leave. When I left the studio my bodyguards took me to my manager's office for a meeting. I met with Ellie first and we talked while waiting for Craig. "How did it go?" Ellie asked.

I shrugged, "Good, I think."

"No details?"

"They asked about Demi like you said they would. They asked what I thought about the comparisons or something and I said that I love it but I provide a fresh new sound and new lyrics to the industry. I left it at that and performed."

"Great!" Ellie smiled, "It's all beginning now."

"What did you tell the media?"

She answered, "They don't know it was me, but they do know that someone close to you leaked the information."

"Yes but what information?" I asked.

"They think you want to compete with Demi. You like her music, but it's also close to yours and there can only be one in the industry. To be successful in the industry you have to bring something different to the table. Your sound and your rivalry with Demi will give you that. That's all you need to know."

"What else do I say when they ask?"

She replied, "You tell them that you don't know who spread the rumor, but a little competition never hurt anyone. You're both making music and having fun, but you're a new face with a new sound and fresh lyrics different from all the other songs on the charts. You're doing great."

I nodded, "It felt weird saying it."

"I know," she nodded, "and I know you don't like this but it is for the best."

"I trust you," I told her.

Craig came to Ellie's office a few minutes later to discuss my upcoming interviews. "You have two more interviews this week so you need to keep it up with the rivalry while still looking like a sweet, innocent teenager."

I asked, "How do I do that exactly?"

"From what it sounds like just keep saying what you said today, but don't focus on Demi. Talk about your music, talk about school, talk about your friends, talk about your family, and only talk about Demi when they ask. If you focus on Demi they will think you're angry or obsessed and that's not the image you want."

I nodded, "I got it. Anything else?"

"No," he shook his head, "But you should get back to school."

I stood up, "Do I have to keep going?"

"Your last day is next week," Ellie answered.

"Good," I said, "Because this schedule exhausts me."

I arrived at school in time for lunch, my luck, and my friends saved me a seat at a table in the back. I passed them all a sandwich my bodyguards and I picked up before sitting down. "You saved us," Beth said, "They're serving pizza again."

"How soggy is it?" I asked.

Beth laughed, "I think they soaked it overnight."

"Gross," I laughed, "I'm glad I missed it."

"And we are glad you brought back ups."

"What did I miss?" I asked.

"We have two weeks to write a paper about Shakespeare, a test in Spanish on Friday, and a test in three weeks in Biology."

"Great," I sighed, "even more work to do. On the bright side, I won't be here for Biology."

"What do you mean?" Beth asked.

"Ellie told me today that my last day is next week. They're finally switching me to home schooling. It's too difficult juggling public school with my schedule. I barely sleep trying to finish homework at night and my grades are already slipping as it is. I can't keep it up."

Beth nodded, "I get that, but promise you'll visit."

"Of course!" I smiled, "You can visit too, anytime."

"How did everything go today?" Andy asked.

I shrugged, "My team seemed to love it."

"You didn't?" Beth asked.

"They know what they're talking about, you know? They've done all this before, but it felt weird. I mean I lied on television to convince the world that I have something against Demi Lovato, but I'm actually a big fan of her music. It feels wrong."

"Technically you didn't lie," Andy suggested. "You never came out and said you have something against her, did you?"

"Well, no," I answered.

"Exactly, so it's not a lie," he said. "Besides, isn't a little competition good for the soul?"

I laughed and shrugged, "I guess I'll have to start believing that."