Chapter 20: Strings for Everything

For the second time, Demi and I agreed to spend time in private away from the cameras. She invited me to her new house so we could catch up. She made lunch and we sat outside on her porch to talk.

"What happened with Kate?" she asked after we finished our talk about what was happening in her life. "You mentioned something on the phone the other day."

"Yes," I nodded, "I did. I didn't want to go into detail then, but she seems really freaked out over everything that's been happening. She's been getting more attention lately because of me, she's worried about graduation and college, and now her parents tell her they are getting a divorce. I think everything piled up in her mind and she couldn't keep her emotions in check any longer. I also felt bad because I had been so busy with my album release that I couldn't spend as much time with her as I did before. I need to change that though, especially now that Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up."

"I remember when I used to bottle up my feelings too," Demi replied. "It's damaging to do that so I'm glad she came clean to you about what she's feeling."

"I tried to make her feel better," I explained, "But I couldn't give her the answer she wanted."

"What answer did she want?" Demi asked.

I answered, "She wanted me to guarantee her that our relationship would last. I told her that I wanted it to, but I had no idea what our futures held. She said it helped to hear it, but I still feel bad about my response."

"Yeah, but you told the truth, Carly. Lying to make her feel better would have been worse. If you want to cheer her up though just do something special to make her happy. Make her dinner, take her on a private date, help her with her homework, or just talk to her all night. Even the simplest things could make a huge difference in how she's feeling. With our lifestyle, we can never guarantee anything. Our schedules are constantly changing and we work terrible hours sometimes, but it's always worth it in the end. Some people have a harder time figuring that out."

My phone interrupted the conversation and I answered it right away when I saw that it was Ellie calling. "Ellie, is something wrong? You never call me on Sundays."

"I know who leaked your e-mail," she said. "We have a huge problem."

I set down my drink on the table and stood up. "How big is this problem exactly?" I asked her. Demi stood up next to me and asked me what was wrong.

Ellie answered, "It's Phoenix huge."

"Oh my God. Where are you?" I asked.

"Meet me at your house," she said before hanging up.

I locked my phone and put it in my pocket. "They found who leaked the email I sent you," I told Demi.

"I assumed it was a fan or the media," Demi said.

"Not so much," I told her, "It was my ex-girlfriend Phoenix."

"Phoenix? Why would do it?"

I shrugged and replied, "That's what I'm going to find out."

Demi nodded, "Keep me updated."

Ellie waited for me at my house. My mom let her in and the three of them sat in the living room. "This looks like an intervention," I told them when I walked in. I put my purse down and sat next to Ellie on the couch. "Why, and how, did Phoenix leak the email?"