Chapter 21: Devil for the One Time

I felt terrified for weeks after I met with Phoenix. She kept showing up. I never would have noticed if my parents had not mentioned it before. She always brought a camera to make herself look like she fit in with the rest of the paparazzi. My parents had all of our phone numbers changed again just to be safe. They changed the locks on the house and added a taller fence with a gate so no one could come in unannounced. They also put up security cameras by the front and the back doors.

After two weeks of feeling terrified, news leaked about what happened. Phoenix must have told the news I was getting stalked. She, of course, left out the part about her being my stalker. From then on, every time someone searched my name the word stalker was right next to it. I got asked about it in every television interview and every radio interview I did. I hated talking about it. I didn't want anyone to know. I felt disgusted and scared just talking about it. Ellie reminded me, however, that we decided it was important to start being more honest with the rest of the world.

After the third week of trying to keep the secret hidden, the police granted the restraining order against Phoenix. Paparazzi kept finding me at police stations and court houses. They knew something serious happened, and everybody wanted to know the details. Ellie finally scheduled an interview that would tell the world the truth about what was actually going on.

I performed my new single on the news one morning. When I finished performing and the commercial break was over, I sat down with the hosts of the show. They immediately asked me about my appearances at the court house and police stations. They barely managed to get out a compliment about the performance.

"It obviously is not a secret that something has been happening lately," I joked to them. "I kept it a secret because it was emotional for me. Things that are very emotional are difficult for me to talk about, and I didn't want to talk about this. I needed to process things and I needed to deal with what was happening. I did find out that I had a stalker. This stalker was a person from my past that does not want to move on. My parents caught her at my house and my team found out she had been hacking my emails."

"So, that report was true?" one of them asked, "You are, in fact, being stalked?"

"Yes," I answered with a nod. "I tried to confront the person hoping an honest talk with them might get them to stop. Unfortunately, it did not work. They tried to blackmail me so I knew it had gotten serious and I contacted my lawyers. The appearances I have been making lately were statements and finalizations for the restraining order."

"That sounds scary," one of them commented. "You didn't talk to this person alone, did you? That sounds dangerous."

"No," I shook my head, "My team recommended I bring someone with me. We didn't want it to make big news right away, you know? This was someone I used to be close to. I hoped I could use that to get her to stop, but she has changed immensely since I last talked to her."

I hoped the interview would go over well. I wanted everyone to accept what I said so I could move on. I didn't want to talk about it anymore; I didn't want to talk about it at all. The interview, however, only led to more questions. On Ellie's suggestion, I repeated the answers I gave in the interview. Most of the fans, and the media outlets, figured out that my stalker was likely the ex-girlfriend I wrote many of my songs about. The connection caused an uproar of talk and analysis of my songs. I, however, kept repeating my story and tried hard not to give away any details about the events. None of us wanted the kind of attention the rest of the world wanted to give us.

To get my mind off the topic, I turned my phone off and met up with Andy, Beth, Kate, and Demi. We used the time as a pool day and hung around at Demi's house around her pool. Andy and Beth swam in the pool while Kate, Demi, and I started by lying next to it.