Chapter 14: She Heard I'm in Love

I felt better after I wrote the song about Phoenix and Kate, but something about it still bothered me the next day so I called Demi and we had another studio session. It led to a new song we called "She Heard I'm in Love."

"She heard I'm in love," I sang in the booth. "I've never seen her run so fast. She heard I'm in love, she heard I finally moved on, and I've never seen her run to me so fast. She heard I'm in love, and it's the end of her world."

"What are you going to do with the songs?" Demi asked, after we finished recording.

I shrugged, "I have no idea, but I needed to write them. I feel a lot better. I'm ready to let all of that go now so I'm not sure if I even want to release them."

"That's true," Demi agreed. "Releasing it could mean bringing some of these feelings back up because millions will be listening to it and your team will want you to promote it."

"Exactly, and I cannot do that. Kate took everything so well and I'm so grateful for that, but she will not be happy if it keeps coming up over and over again."

"And that's going well?" Demi asked with a smile.

"Yes," I laughed, "and we agreed to hang out again tonight. She's coming over after my interview today. I cannot believe how amazing the conversation went."

"Let me give you advice, okay? Keep with this pattern. Let go of the past, but don't forget it. Don't bring it up in conversation, but talk about it when you need to. Be happy with your girlfriend and remind her every day about what she means to you. Remind her that you want a future with her and not anyone else. Never settle for the type of relationship that you used to have. I've been so much happier in my relationships since I've done those things."

I smiled, "Thanks, Demi. That's great advice. I just want this next year to be all about my career, my friends, my family, and Kate. I'm in a good place. I'm actually in a better place than I think I've ever been in. Even my team is better than it used to be because they're also looking out for what's best for me and not just what's best for my career."

"I know exactly what you mean."

The day of the award show finally came and I barely had a chance to eat or sleep all day. From the time I woke up until the time I went to sleep I was busy. Demi and I rehearsed in the morning, started getting ready, and we didn't finish until it was time to walk the red carpet. I gave people out front Kate's name and they let her through to get ready for the red carpet. We got into the car, we would likely be one of the last ones to walk the red carpet, and I could feel Kate's hand shaking as I held it.

"Are you okay?" I asked her. "How nervous are you?"

She smiled and answered, "About a nine."

"It will be chaotic, that's for sure, but you don't even have to say anything if you don't want to. I am usually silent and I just walk the carpet, smile, and pose then I'm done. I'll have to do a few interviews on the way into the building, but it'll just be me answering questions about the show and my music."

"Don't forget Demi," she reminded me.

I laughed, "Yes, and plenty of questions about Demi. She will get some too. Some people still cannot believe we turned out to be friends."

"I believe it," Kate smiled. "It's hard to imagine you hating anyone, let alone Demi hating someone."

"True," I smiled back. "I'm nervous too. I didn't think I would be."

"Why are you nervous?" she asked, "You've been rehearsing for weeks."

"I know," I laughed, "But I can't help it. I've never hosted anything before. What if I'm not good at hosting? What if I say something embarrassing?"