Chapter 19: Darling, Nobody Knows

You came to me terrified.
You fell to your knees.
You couldn't get hurt,
no, not like before.
Your heart can't take it,
and neither can mine.

You kept asking me questions,
needed this to last forever.
You never wanted to feel
emptiness again.

I'm still sitting here
trying to find an answer,
but the truth is:

In the week leading up to my album release, I managed to do four interviews, two magazine photoshoots, five performances, and go on two dates with Kate. I did not expect the reviews I received when my album finally released. My hard work paid off. I continued doing interviews, performances, and posted on social media every chance I got. My album went to number one on the iTunes charts and they expected it to reach the top 20 on the billboard charts. I barely had any free time to spare. If I had, I would have noticed something else was happening.

A week after my album released, I noticed Kate giving shorter answer to our text messages. On our date, she tried to smile, but I could tell something was wrong. She still did not tell me, even when I asked. Two weeks after its release, on a Saturday, I showed up to her house after she ditched me on our afternoon date.

"Is Kate home?" I asked her mom. "She was supposed to meet me earlier."

"She is," Her mom said, "I'm so sorry. I would have reminded her if I had known. You can go on to her room."

"Thank you," I smiled and walked past her.

Kate was in her room. I expected her to at least apologize, but she didn't say anything. She barely looked at me.

"Did I do something?" I asked her.

I turned her desk chair around and forced her to look at me. She looked like she had been crying. Her eyes still looked puffy and slightly red.

"I'm sorry if I did something wrong," I told her, "Because I know I've been really busy with my album release."

She shook her head and placed her hands on my shoulders as I kneeled in front of her. "This isn't you," she tried to say, but she broke into sobs before she could finish.

"What's going on?" I asked her, "What's wrong? You can talk to me."

"I know," She said, continuing to cry.

"So, what is it?" I asked again.

"It's going to sound stupid," she said, "But I'm just so scared."

"Scared of what?" I asked her.

She began explaining, "We had to read this book for class a couple weeks ago and we were discussing it in class when they started talking about the main relationship in the book. This couple had a perfect life. They had successful careers, they loved each other, they had children, and they went on vacation whenever they wanted. One of my classmates said they couldn't stand that part of the book. He said it all seemed too perfect."

"What does this have to do with what's going on?"

"We reached the second half of the book and there was such a drastic change," Kate continued explaining. "The husband lost his job and the wife got kidnapped. The husband lost his mind trying to find his wife. A year later, she's found alive, but they can't get their relationship back. The husband couldn't recover from the emotional toll and the wife flinched anytime someone came close to her. It made me cry to read about it. I asked the teacher why she wanted us to read the book and she said it was important that we understand that a perfect life isn't possible. There are a lot of things happening in our lives that others don't know about. She said bad things will always happen, and it's important for us to understand that."