➽SEVEN

"I HONESTLY DIDN'T THINK he would be alive." I whispered to Ben, who was reclining on the bed. Evan's arrival had been a surprise to everyone, but mostly me.

The way Cassie had talked about him, I was convinced he had died, yet there he was, two rooms away from where Ben and I were talking.

 "Me either." Ben said, propping himself onto his elbows, then wincing at the pain. Upon Evan's arrival, before Cassie shot him, Evan had managed to knock Ben out, which brought more pain to his already bruised and broken body.

He gave me a small and reassuring smile when he noticed the concern on my face. I appreciated his attempt to appear alright, even though we both knew he was far from it. He had been angrily waiting for Evan to wake up.

Cassie had been nursing Evan back to health, apparently the same way he did when he shot her. I tried not to ask too many questions as to why the love of her life had shot her in the leg.

***

Cassie vehemently defended Evan as Ben insulted him. To say Ben was livid would have been an understatement, however, their voices were interrupted by the encroaching sound of a helicopter. They had found us.

Strangely though, as quickly as the helicopter had appeared, it disappeared.

"Do you think they know we're hear?" Dumbo whispered to me, the fear evident in his voice. There was no hiding it, everyone was terrified, but I knew better.

"If they knew, we would be dead."

I heard the creak of the floorboards before the others.

"Someone's here." I whispered. Dumbo's face, yet once again was filled with terror. The poor boy was too young to be exposed to this. In fact, this whole ordeal was extremely unfair to everyone who had been exposed. Poor innocent people; their lives, their families, lost. There was no humanity.

Her small feet caused the floorboards to continue creaking, and as she stepped out into the light, I could not stop the gasp that escaped my lips.

"Megan." Sammy was the first to speak.

He knew her.

My heart broke.

"My throat hurts." Was all she managed to say before her small, fragile body hit the hard floor.

Published: September 6 2016

Here's an update! Thanks for all the support.

Please remember to comment/vote