➽FOUR

THERE MUST HAVE BEEN something going on between Evan Walker and Cassie. This revelation made the 'shark who dreamed he was a man' statement more clear.

I had first met Evan when I had first been "awoken". He had been a in a relationship with my sister - my best friend.

It was endearing knowing he was around, but I always knew there was something off about him.

He had struck me as being too gentle and at the saw time to methodical with everything he did.

Neither of us confronted or truly interacted with the other in regards to our difference, but it was something we both recognised. Sort of, an unspoken secret between the two of us.

Following my sisters death, Evan Walker in a sense, disappeared. The final thing I heard about him was that his family had all passed away.

My heart broke for him. I found myself empathising- a foreign feeling to me. But not too long after, with the death of Felix, I became stone cold.

Evan was the shark. Cassie, the reason he wanted to be a man. Cassie was to Evan what Ben was to me.

I guess, that was another way Evan Walker and I were similar. We had loved and lost. A human scenario which changed our views and led us to care.

The value of love, life and hope was something the Others had never understood- something that separated Evan Walker and I, from our own kind.

"So I was right. You're one of them." Cassie nodded slightly, knowingly. My heart rate accelerated. If she told anyone Ringer would try to kill me and Ben would never trust me.

"Please don't tell anyone." For the first time in my life I felt vulnerable. Cassie had something over me and I was at her mercy. I didn't like to beg, for anything. It was so weak, such a human characteristic, yet here I was. Typical.

"If you wanted to kill us, you would've. I trust you. But you're going to have to tell Ben."

I didn't want to hear those words, but I saw it coming.

In this unfortunate string of events there was something I knew about Ben; he didn't like Others.

This revelation could have put a strain on a budding friendship, potentially leading to another downwards spiral.

Time.

I needed time to make Ben realise my intentions were pure and I wasn't ruthless like the stigma.

"At least let me do it in my own time."

Cassie began to chew on her bottom lip. She had a distant look in her eyes as she mentally debated exposing my true state.

"I'm giving you till the end of the week, then I tell him." She spoke with such confidence and a hint of defiance.

She knew the tables had turned and an Other was at her mercy.

4 days.

Before I could respond, I realised Ringer was talking to Ben. Her voice quietly echoed through the paper thin walls.

She was trying  to whisper, but to me, it was as though she was speaking into my ear.

**
By the end of the night, her plan was in full swing.

She shared her parting words with the group, then, she was out the door.

I tried not to worry too much about her, but I knew beyond the tough exterior was a hurt girl.

Ben looked over to me, with an assuring smile. I hadn't realised my worries were visibly evident.

I turned over to Cassie and she raised an eyebrow, as though she was urging me to tell Ben.

I had till the end of the week

***
Published: 22 March 2016

It's been so long!!! Updates will be more frequent (I'll try) but thank you for 4K reads.

Also I'm assuming the majority of you watched the 5th wave movie... Thoughts?

I was bummed that Evan didn't say the shark bit.

Vote/comment