Chapter 12: The Late Arrival

Early in the morning I am told to get up and to get ready by Ellen. She advises me on what to wear and what will be happening today when Levi arrives. It will be happening in the throne room with a small audience, though she doesn't yet tell me who will be there. She tries to tell me not to worry as she will be there by my side the whole time, but that doesn't give me much confidence.

We spend a while with Ellen teaching me how to act like an Elethorian lady. She shows me how to walk, head held high, no slouching and to possess an air of confidence. This is easy until she makes me put on a pair of high heeled boots to go with my ridiculous black skin tight trousers with a ruffly white shirt. Then Ellen does my hair for me. She braids certain parts of my hair and arranges them in a way that she explains is the current fashion in Elethoria, sliding in some beautiful silver hair clips that seem to match Thorne's pocket watch, which I'm currently not wearing as Thorne needs it to bring Levi here. The hair clips have the same intricate swirly patterns as the pocket watch does, but the clips also have a few emeralds and diamonds on them.

Eventually we head downstairs to the throne room where a small party is gathered around one of the long tables. All the people fall silent and stand up when I enter the room which leaves me feeling a little confused. Then Ellen leads me up to the front platform and tells me to sit on one of the thrones. I want to protest but I know that I shouldn't so I keep my mouth shut and take a seat, feeling as though I must look stupid and like I don't belong up here. As soon as I take a seat everyone else does. They all seem to take this as a sign to start chattering again, which they do, and I soon begin to feel very left out. It's awfully lonely up on this Throne, I can see why Thorne wants someone by his side now.

Ellen stands by my side while we wait. Eventually I get bored and decide to strike up a conversation with her.

"Why do you work in the castle?" I ask, genuinely curious why she's here. I find it odd that while Ellen is forced to work in here Erin, her sister, is so far away on earth.

"It is quite a long story, my lady. Are you sure you want to hear it?" she asks.

"We've got plenty of time and I'd like to know more about you. I find it awfully lonely trapped in this castle with nowhere to go, perhaps we could be friends?" I suggest.

Ellen smiles.

"Erin and her friend Ember travelled to earth a few years ago to research the human race. They are both part of a project to help humanity in any way they can, from helping to prevent global warming to cutting down crime rates. Unfortunately the project doesn't get much funding from what was the Queen's Council because earth is not a priority to Elethoria. So I work here to help with funding for their crazy ideas. I do not mind because the pay is good and the..." she seems to trail off mid sentence.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing, my lady. I just got distracted. They will be arriving soon."

"Please tell me what's wrong," I almost beg. She shakes her head and turns away from me.

"It is not my place to say. I must not be so bold or else I will lose my job."

"Don't be silly, I won't ever let anyone fire you. You're my friend. Say whatever you want in front of me and I will never judge you for it. I'm not familiar with your hierarchy system here because where I come from most people are equal and so that is exactly how I will treat you; as my equal."

"That is most kind, my lady," is all she says in response. I suppose it's going to a be a lot harder to just talk to her than I thought it would be. She's definitely afraid, but what is she afraid of? Is it Thorne? Has he threatened all of the staff in the castle?