Chapter 19: The Name of the Dragon

Chapter 19: The Name of the Dragon

Thorne directs me to the cell that Levi was placed in when they arrived just a moment ago. It's on a different floor to Queen Eletha's cell and I find that it's much darker down there. In fact, without the small candle I'm given it would be pitch black.

This definitely worries me as I have no idea if what Thorne said is true. Will it really be just me and Levi down there? Or will Thorne have someone else spying on me?

I make sure that I check every corner of the dungeon to see if I can find anyone lurking in the shadows. I don't find anyone but that doesn't necessarily mean that there's no one there. With my limited source of light it would be easy for someone to hide from me.

Finally I find my way to Levi's cell. When the metal bars are in sight I take the pocket watch off of my neck and hide it somewhere in the dark on the ground.

"Levi? Are you there?" I ask anxiously into the darkness of the cell.

"Astrid?" he replies. I hear footsteps and the rattle of chains as he finds his way towards the door of the cage. I hold the candle through the bars to offer him more light.

When the light hits his face I hold back my gasp. He's completely covered in blood and bruises.

"What did they do to you, Levi?" I ask in shock.

"Turns out that I'm not that easy to catch."

"But they still caught you," I state.

"There were too many of them. I couldn't fight them all alone," he explains.

"I'm sorry I got you into this situation. I should have just told him the truth," I apologise.

I can just make out him shaking his head in the light of the candle.

"If you had done that then we'd both be locked away in the dungeons now."

"No, we'd both be dead," I correct him. "The only reason you're still alive now is because I told Thorne that you had a plot to stop him and that we need to try to find out your plan. So long as we don't say a word then you'll be kept alive but they'll probably torture you."

Levi doesn't respond.

"How are we going to get you out of here? There must be a way for you to escape? What should I do?"

"I'm strong enough to break out of this cage and these chains but there's no chance of getting out of this castle alive. The dungeons are bound to be heavily guarded now. Plus you can't do anything to help me because we can't have you getting into even more trouble."

"I have an idea. Thorne often uses an invisibility spell. You should know. He was invisible when I first met you. Can't we make you invisible so that you can get out of here unnoticed?"

"I don't know the spell. You'll have to find it. Try looking in the library," he suggests. I shake my head.

"There are no spell books in the library. I've already checked. But don't worry, I'm going to try my best to get you out of here, I promise."

"Are you going now? Don't leave yet," he begs.

"I have to go soon otherwise Thorne might worry. You know that I don't want to leave you down here and I will get you out as soon as possible, I swear I will. By the way, I'm going to tell him that you wouldn't say a word about your plan."

"Alright, I suppose I'll be tortured soon then." Obviously he doesn't sound very happy. I've basically given him a death sentence now.

"Look, we just need to make sure we have our story straight," I explain and then go on to tell him the exact lie I told Thorne during the engagement party.