Werewolf Gene

Werewolves are born. The gene is there and most of time you know if the gene runs in your family. Although it is rare, there times that the werewolf ancestor is so distant that a person may not know they have the gene. Most of the time this doesn't much matter unless the gene gets activated. This generally happens when the were comes in contact with wolfs bane or are bitten by either another werewolf, a vampire, or a demon of some kind.

Bloodline-werewolves generally fall in line with the bloodlines. The older the bloodline the stronger the werewolf, generally. There are times that a newer bloodline can be stronger depending on the werewolf. 

There are those who believe in the "pure blood' (meaning no humans in the bloodline). And in cases were this bloodline has a member who's mate is discovered to be human either the wolf is forced to reject their mate or the bloodline kills the human mate, unless the werewolf chooses to desert.

 Mixing with humans is not uncommon but it makes somethings harder because although the gene in dominant if the mates continue to be human it can cause a situation like the I mentioned above.

Now the gene also has the alpha command involved. Most werewolves will instinctively yield to an alpha. It's also what forced the werewolf to submit to an alpha order. 

with the gene comes so basic universal traits:

      1) tempers: all werewolves have bad tempers and most have short fuses. The older the werewolf the more control they have. They tend to be the ones to throw the first punch. An alpha command is generally the only way to stop a fight between two werewolves. A mate can calm a werewolf and stop a fight before it starts. Another fact about the tempers, don't mess with a were's mate. 

     2) athletic: they are part wolves. So they run and fight. they have to be in shape to survive. A fat werewolf wouldn't be productive for the pack. 

     3) strong: werewolves are extremely strong and a lot stronger then humans, which gives them an edge in doing construction work. 

     4) heightened sense: werewolves once they shift have the sense of their wolves. 

    5) Dominant and submissive: and no this isn't S&M. A male werewolf likes to be in control. He has a dominant personality. The higher the rank the more evident this becomes. Where females tend to be more submissive. Don't take them for weak. A female when defending herself, her mate, pups, or pack can be more vicious than a male. 

   6) Not trusting: werewolves do not trust easily and for good reason. To let someone in is difficult for humans. Now add a secret like being a werewolf and knowing that if the person can't handle it can put the whole pack in danger.