6 - The Mission

"You're not serious, are you?" I ask Mark, chuckling awkwardly because of my nervousness. I can see he's dead serious though. He's just looking at me with his poker face. 

"You can think about that later." He points at the other cars, "We still have a race to win."

"Who..." I clear my throat, not being able to finish my question. I've never really killed someone. I shot people before, but not to kill them. I know that it's part of being in a gang, but, I never really had to deal with it before because Ryan was always there to make sure I didn't have to kill anybody. 

"The guy you were just talking to earlier." He says it like it's not a big deal. 

My eyes get bigger. "You mean...Jin?" I lick my lips nervously and comb my hair away from my face. "N...No. I can't do that." Jin is a friend of mine. A good person at that. He would hook me up to races when he knows I need cash. Not him. Oh please tell me Mark was just kidding. 

But, he just looks at me, dead serious. 

"Mark, I can't."

"Ok." He shrugs his shoulders and turns around, starting for the car. "Then you're out." 

I'm sorry, Jin. I have to do this for Ryan. 

"Fine!" I run after him, grabbing his arm. "Fine," I close my eyes, gritting my teeth. "I'll do it."

I hear him smirk. "Now. Let's win the race shall we?" He rubs his hands together and I want nothing more but to reach down my boot for my senorita and shoot him here, point blank. He opens the driver's side of the car, holding it open for me with a despicable smile on his face. "Shall we?" He asks again. 

I grit my teeth and drag my body inside the car. He then walks casually to the other side and gets in. I try not to look at him as I concentrate on getting the car to the track. My insides are shaking, my sweat dripping, my heart racing and my mind in chaos.

How? How can I do that to a person who has helped me? I've known him for four years. He's done nothing wrong to me. And I'm gonna take his life just like that? Just because this sex maniac, angry, gangster beside me said so? What would he feel if I kill him instead? 

Not just that. That would make me a murderer, too. Even if I get out of this mess and find out who killed Ryan, I'd be sent to jail for another crime. This time, it would really be me pulling the trigger. 

"You wanna lose?" Mark shouts at me. I didn't realize the race has already started and I'm falling behind. "With my car? You serious?" 

I change gears and step on the gas, letting the pedal hit the floor. 

"That's more like it," Mark comments, sitting back comfortably as I pass three cars. 

I'm tempted to crash the car, end all of it. At least, even if I go, this asshole would go down with me. 

"That's my, Mia. You never let me down." 

Ryan's voice whisper in my ear. That's what he'd always say after I win a race. He'd carry me out the car and cover me with his kisses. The adrenaline I would be feeling during the race would be replaced by the euphoria of a good after race sex. 

I go even faster, testing the limit of the purring iron I'm driving, wanting to get to the finish line first and hoping Ryan would be there, waiting for me to jump into his arms with a bottle of booze to celebrate. 

Instead... "Great job, Mia. Never knew you could handle my baby." Mark pats my shoulder as he gets out of the car with a big grin. 

I almost forgot what I was here for. The feeling of racing again just woke up every cell in my body and it felt great. Like being in the highest of your high and staying there.