24 - Lured

"Mia?" Michel's frail voice makes me turn around instantly. Even if it's the first time I'm hearing her talk, I know it's her. The way she pronounces my name is as sweet as her face. I run towards where I left her. 

"Sorry." I say, giving her an apologetic smile. "Where do you want to go?" I ask, unlocking the wheels and turning the wheelchair. 

"Sit," she says softly. I slowly walk in front of her, going to the bench I was seated on earlier. I bite on my nail nervously, knowing she caught me eavesdropping. "Is it true?"

I look up at her, her eyes at the verge of spilling tears. I quickly go on my knees and take her hands, crying myself. "I'm sorry. I didn't know. I .... He .... "

She nods, finally letting out the tears she was trying so hard to hold in. "So ... you know all of them?" Her voice is weak and shaking. 

"Don't worry, Michel," I put a hand on her cheek, wiping her tears with my thumb. "They're gone. All of them."

"Even your boyfriend?"

I nod, looking at our linked hands on her lap. I wipe my cheeks when I see my tears drip on her blanket. "I'm really sorry."

"It's not your fault, is it?"

"But ... " I can't dare to look into her eyes, I keep my head bent, "I was part of their group."

"Does my brother know?"

Does he? I think he only knows about me being a WOLF and about Paul. I shrug my shoulders. "I didn't really know what happened until recently. Only when I entered GS that I found out about what R ... he did."

"You don't need to explain, Mia." She squeezes my hand and I look up at her. She smiles weakly. "I trust you. Yugyeom told me about you. If he trusts you, then I do, too." 

Does she even know her boyfriend was best friends with Ryan? I don't think so. 

"I hated belonging to this family, you know?" I'm surprised at how open she said that. "Why can't I have parents who are normal? I hate these gangs. I hate people killing each other. I just hate ..... everything."

She's in tears again. I don't know if I should pity her or feel annoyed because she's saying things she doesn't mean. Who wouldn't want to belong to a family? Even if it were the meanest or the most evil, I wouldn't pass on that. 

Her expression changes when she looks at my shoulder. I, just then, realize that the blood has seeped through my shirt. "What happened to you?"

I get up, covering it with my hand. "I just .... got in a fight," I shake my head, showing her it's nothing. "You wanna go back inside?" I ask her, changing the subject. 

She nods. I take the handles of the chair and push her back towards the house. "Mia?" 

"Yes?" 

"I want to go out."

That makes me stop. "What?"

"I'm bored. I've been in this house for the longest time. I want to go out."

"But...."

She sighs. "You can't, can you?" She looks away. "I understand."

Although I feel really sorry for her, I can't dare to take her beyond the tall gates. Everybody in this house would slaughter me. "I'm sorry," I tell her, feeling guilty again. "I'll find a way." But, of course I can't promise her that. Not now that the elites are on me. 

I get summoned in the office after taking Michel back to her room. 

"Good luck." I hear her say, before I close the door behind me. I drop by Mark's room and see the empty bed. He must be down in the office already.