The Journey

The hoverspeeder sped across the wastelands towards the salvage site. Today they were going to what was believed to be the ruins of a large city that had mostly been untouched by the apocalypse, which was a pleasant surprise for most of the people. Kaylen, on the other hand,  had mixed thoughts about salvaging ruined cities. On one hand, the abandoned buildings looked dark and menacing, and who knows what dangers lie inside. On the other hand, it was a cool and ludicrous means of finding out how people lived in the past. Also, even though they looked menacing, they were sort of beautiful in a way, and almost seemed to make it worth it.

     Kaylen had only visited one ruined city before, and it was both frightening and intriguing, and resulted in a major payday for everyone, because lots of objects were strewn about that you don't find unless you're in a part of the city that didn't get vaporized.

       Of course, most of the barren, desert-like wastelands their fleet was zipping through used to be settled fairly densely. These areas with fewer debris and more dust were likely the areas where the bombs hit directly, immediately disintegrating nearly everything.

     Kaylen looked out the window to see that they were passing one of those areas now, nothing but mounds of dust and a few twisted steel beams reflecting the scarlet light coming from the reddish-yellow sun , making everything look weary and forlorn, almost like the landscape was slowly dying . Some of the mounds were several miles high, completely dwarfing the small fleet. Kaylen felt like a needle next to a haystack. The guard ships didn't seem like much protection if a dustslide occured.

    The fleet flew on through the barren landscape, and Kaylen's fear soon turned into dull boredom. Jake tried to entertain the crew with sing-alongs, but he didn't really care. All he could think about was the potential ways this mission could go wrong-and there were plenty.