Chapter 3: The Friend "Date"

Toby's POV:

I parked my car behind the school today and got out. I took my Samsung galaxy S4 out of my back pocket and texted my friend Bryan as I walked into the school. I wasnt paying attention and walked into someone knocking over their things. When I looked down and saw them picking stuff up I recognized their hair and their body type. "Taylor?" I questioned. She looked up, "I am so sorry Taylor." I knelt down and helped her pick up her books. "Thanks." she says. She continued, "Uh can we go to my locker?"

"Yea sure. Totally." I said.

Today she had on skinny jeans and an Abercrombie sweater with a hood and it was navy blue. She had on her feet some black combat boots. "Nice kicks." I told her. I got a good look at her face, "Dude, are you wearing makeup?" I asked surprised. She frowned, "Oh crap does it look bad?"

"No, no you look good I was just wondering." I relaxed her. "Ok good. Thank you." she said. She opened her locker and I put her books in. "So, now that we are good friends-" I hesitated. "Here's my phone number." I handed her a folded sticky note. She unfolded it slowly and read it silently then put it in a little organizer in her locker. "Sweet." she said. I wanted to hug her, but that would maybe make her feel weird. I don't think she liked me like that.

Taylor's POV:

Oh my god I liked him so much! I wanted to squeal when he handed me that little piece of paper. I shut my locker.

****

I got to my house and sat on the couch. I pulled out the sticky note and put in his contact information. I texted him asking if he wanted to hangout. I awaited a response and when my phone buzzed I smiled and opened up the messages. He said, "I would love to. Lets meet at the park down the road of Mable Dr." I dropped my phone and just sat there with a everlasting happy expression. I picked up my phone and checked to see if it still worked. It did. Thank God! I blew out a sigh of relief. I got my car keys out of my backpack in the front pouch. And then I left my mom a note and stuck it to the fridge with a magnet. ***

I got to the park and sat in the car for a few minutes trying to embrace it all. I got out, my hair blowing in the wind. I reapplied lip gloss and some powder. I brushed my hair and used my window as a mirror. I tossed everything back in the passenger's seat of my car. He pulled up in a truck behind me. The exact one I had but blue. "Nice truck." I told him. He laughed briefly. We walked over to the swings and each sat in one. "So..." he tried to start a conversation.

"Um, I have a question. Why didn't you ever talk to me before yesterday? Is it because yesterday I dressed...normal..?"

He looked confused a little, "Well. The truth is.." before he finished some little kids came running by screaming. "The truth is I always kind of liked you and when you came to school all dressed nice and stuff. It gave me more confidence to talk to you and also I got jealous when like the whole football team looked at you like fresh meat." he explained.

I smiled wide, "I like you too...a lot honestly."

He leaned in close. I backed away a little, "What are you doing?"

He opened his eyes, "Well, I was going to kiss you."

"Toby! We just officially met yesterday. Look I really really like you. I don't want you to think I dont, but I'm not exactly comfortable with kissing you yet." I said sweetly.

He nodded, "Im so sorry. I just couldn't help it. I mean we aren't even going out so it would be weird. But I completely understand."

"Thanks. I didn't want you to hate me."

"How could I hate a girl that is trying so hard to be my friend? That's awesome." he said.

"Really?" I asked.