Chapter 4: Awkward Lunch

Toby's POV:

Today was the day that Paris and I, as Taylor put it, bonded. I figured I should dress pretty nice for this specail lunch. I put on my nicest blue jeans and a plain white T-shirt with a leather jacket. I put on my Jordons from Nike and drove off towards the cafè. When I got there I sat in the truck until I saw my truck's red twin.

Taylor's POV:

I had decided today to wear my new boots I got yesterday from the mall with some ripped skinny jeans from American Eagle. For a shirt I slipped on a black crop top with the word 'LOVE' across in bold white letters and underneath was my favorite white tank top. To top it all off I used my mom's mascara and put my hair in a classy sock bun. Paris was in her favorite, fancy pencil skirt and a navy blue V-neck shirt with some black vans.

"Well. We're here." I told her.

She looked at me in an expression that said, 'thanks captain obvious.'

We leaped out of the car and walked over to the two glass doors. I opened one and we walked in.

She switched her view over to me, "Don't look now, but Mr. Football player is here too." she meant Toby.

"Yeah I know." I answered.

She opened her mouth wide, "What do you mean you know? Did you plan this Tay?"

I pretended I didn't hear her and I walked over to the table, motioning for her to follow. She stomped on over.

Toby got up and put his arms out offering Paris a hug. Paris rolled her eyes and sat down at the table. He sat back down and just then the tension built up.

"So," I started to say so that we could get a conversation going, "How is everything?" I asked them both.

"Fine." they both said simataniously.

"Good." I responded and nodded at the same time.

Our waitress came over and asked us what we wanted to drink. She looked over at Toby, "For you sir?" she said.

"Uh I'll have a Sam Adams." I stared at him. "Kidding! I'll have a Coke please." We all giggled a little.

"I'll have a Coke as well." I added.

We all looked at Paris, "And I will take a virgin Pina Colada." the waitress wrote everything down.

Toby glanced at Paris, "Fancy." he said trying to lighten the mood.

Paris's POV:

This. Was. So. Awkward. I wanted to just crawl into a ball and stay there. Our drinks came out and then we all ordered our food after looking over the menu. After lunch we all attacked the bill like wild animals. Arguing on who should pay. Finally I had had enough and just stuck my credit card in the stupid leather book holding our check. Toby and Taylor piped down and shared a glance. "What?" I asked, "Its fine I have things I need to do today." I concluded.

We all left after I got my card back and Toby and Taylor shared a hug. This whole friendship thing between them was so strange at times for me. I felt like a total loner so I went in for a hug too. Taylor smiled at me. I said to Toby, "Just this time." then he messed up my hair. Toby drove away out into the distance while Tay and I loaded into the car. "Thanks for coming. Im sorry I didn't tell you he was meeting us here, but I knew if I had that you wouldn't have come with me so..." Taylor explained to me.

"Its ok. I had a good time. I like us all being friends!" Complete lie. I just wanted Taylor to be my friend. Not Toby not anyone really. I added on, "But that was the most awkward lunch ever."

"I have to agree." we laughed.

Taylor's POV:

I was in my room listening to music when my mother came in. "Hi." she said, "How was your lunch thing with Paris and your new guy friend?"

"It was great." I replied.

"Good. Where did you meet?"

"We went to that old Cafe downtown." I told her.

She licked her lips. "So are you and Toby a thing? Or..."

"No mom. Just good friends." I explained to her so she wouldn't call him my boyfriend.

"Oh! Well that's good that you have another friend that you can do stuff with." she said.

She left my bedroom and left the door open. One of my pet peeves. I marched over and shut it. I turned on Miley's new song 23 and jammed out. I threw on some flannel pajama bottoms and a red oversized shirt that was my friend's from when she slept over last weekend. I wasn't the best person at returning belongings. I flopped like a fish on dry land onto my bed and day dreamed about prom and a dress. I really wanted to go now. Oh darn! A dress! I need to go shopping ASAP. I forgot to go when I was at the mall. I decided I'll go look through my mom's things tomorrow and if I couldn't find anything I would just go to that dress store down the street. It was like a thrift store but with super pretty prom gowns and things. They were in great condition too. Which was shocking because usually thrift shops were just so gross and I don't know even though I'm not all that girly I still just never had a need to go in one I didn't like them, but this one was awesome. The dresses were amazing. Like dresses that would be around 200$ but are under 30$. I thought about me in one of the gowns. I snapped out of it and shot up. Oh my gosh! Was I really turning this girly because of Toby? Why was I doing this? I missed being comfy during the day with my sweats and DCs'. And my flannel tops and tank tops. I didn't like frilly skirts and blouses and skinny jeans. That wasn't me. And I wasn't going to let this take control of who I really am. First thing tomorrow, I'm going back to my old self. No more makeup or curled hair. No. Just me and my baggy clothes and a skateboard under my grip.

Toby's POV:

Today's lunch was so weird. But I don't really blame Paris for not forgiving me for what happened in eighth grade. I know she still holds a grudge. I let it slip my mind and just focused on Taylor. How was I going to ask her to prom? Should I even ask her? I bet she already has a date. Maybe another guy friend. I could ask if she was going with someone. No that's way to pushy she'll get suspicious.

I crawled under the covers like a hermit crab and crashed.

(Next Day) ***

I walked into school. And normally I would go straight to my football buds and talk then approach Taylor's locker and wait until she got to school so we could go to class. But today I went up to Paris.

"Hey we should talk. Like now." I said

"Look Toby..." she paused.

"What? What is it Paris?! You've held a grudge against me for almost two years now!" I said angrily.

She scowled and shook her head at me. "You know what you did Toby. And it hurt me. I liked you, a lot at one point in my life. And you let me down." she slammed her locker and everyone turned and stared. She gritted her teeth and walked away sassily like always. I ticked her off.

I relived what happened in the eighth grade and I banged my fist against her locker. I was a jerk.

AUTHORS NOTE:

Wow. That was tense huh? Lol. Look out for my next chapter. Which is chapter 5 where we will find out what went down between Toby and Paris in middle school. :p