Like... A Billion Miles Away

-Jeru's POV-

I heard my mom and dad fighting again.

Dad: "I swear to God, Elaine, if you ever lay a hand on my child again we will have some serious issues!!!

I rubbed the bruise forming on my lower back. My dad didn't know about that one yet. I cringed at the thought of the beating I got last night. My mom is a drug and alcohol addict. Whenever she gets high or drunk, she turns violent and beats me and my little brother, Albany. My mother's drinking destroyed our family. My dad divorced her and Albany was born with autism and all of her addictions. Albany was thirteen but was only at a seven year old's reading and math level in school. He just completed his rehab for the addictions he was born with. Ever since Albany was born, I've played the mommy role. I had to buy baby formula (because my mom refused to feed "a mental bastard"), his first toy, his first bike, and all of his Christmas presents. I dont have a car because I'm only 15, but I illegally drive during fall and winter because riding my bike out there during those seasons was impossible. My parents yelling snapped me out of my thoughts.

Dad: "God damn you, Elaine!

I heard glass shatter, and my dad curse loudly. He ran into my room, with a piece of broken glass lodged above his eyebrow.

Me: "Omg DAD what happened to you??"

Dad: "It's not too bad, the worst was when your mother chucked the iron at me. While it was still on!!"

We both laughed, then he reached out and rubbed my check where my week old bruises and cuts were.

Dad: "How're those cut healing up?"

Me: "Fine, thanks."

Dad: "Good. Now go pack up your things, and get Albany ready. You guys are going to go live in Calabasas with my wife Sheila and I!"

He smiled widely at me. But I didn't return one. I guess I wasn't ready to leave the Bronx, or meet my wicked stepmother. I still had tons of places I wanted to photograph, and my movie project for my "Future of Hollywood" class, was turning out brilliant. I could not leave. Not now.