Contest Entry for @Deerfly

DeerFly

Here's my entry for you contest! Sorry that it's taken me a little longer than I expected it to but I'm glad I've got it done and I'm content with the final images.
(I was also wondering if I could incorporate Fly into this new book idea that I've been working on.)

Here's a sneak peek.

First of all, Fly is a scientist, well, or at least was a scientist. He tried to help experiments under his control escape, and was caught. The escapees were rounded up by more loyal subjects and brought back to the laboratory. The escapees got away with it, and for the most part didn't have that bad, or big of a punishment, but for Fly, he had committed a severe criminal offense. The others, they were going to show each other what traitors would look like after their 'experiments'. They infused the rocky heart of the Shadow Binder inside of him, adding a mix of the crystals into his bloodstream, and there the experiment began. At first, he showed the same symptoms and patterns as one of the escapees did, but after more than a few weeks there was something odd about him. Dark growths sprouted from his shoulder blades, elbows and his fingers became elongated and pointed at the fingertips. His scarf had molded itself to his being while in this state, and it would grow as his power grew. There was a way for him to control this new 'form', but it wouldn't come to him easily, and there would be more pain than he ever experienced before. He was forced to do dangerous things to show his power and speed, sometimes these challenges were very close to taking his life. If, and whenever he was cooperative, they would be nicer or kinder to the escapees that were once under his watch, so he felt that he had almost no choice other than to behave and listen. It stayed like that for a while, then something even worse occurred. He... Fully transformed. The scarf became like an impenetrable armor and his hands and feet became more like the talons of a dragon, and the growths on his shoulders grew longer and stronger, into dark and ominous winds. His complete transformation baffled the other scientists, since none of the others had gotten that far without losing control of themselves. They were naive and foolish, thinking they could hold a high level transformed Shadow Binder in a simple reinforced cell. He began to lose control of himself, feeling his psyche being pulled back as something else replaced it. The tiny crystals in his blood, and the rocky heart of the Shadow Binder began to take control, extending its control to every nerve in his body. The severing of the nerves sent his psyche keel back in shock, letting the demon take over easier. He broke through the reinforced plates and glass in no time at all, and killed a few of his previous comrades and fellow scientists. One of the ones who got away, sported a long and deep gash across the side of his arm immediately knew that something was wrong, very, very wrong. Instead of Fly's naturally green eyes, they were a bright crimson, and his hair had turned to a pale dirty blonde. Scales of crystals and shadows were bound to his skin and flesh, making him have a form somewhat alike of that what a dragon would look like. He trashed the laboratory and freed the entire stock of experiments that were much like himself, who stormed out and ran off. However, one of the other experiments, one of the escapees, Nate, had stayed behind, sitting on the floor with his back to the wall, his knees curled up and hugged by his darkly splotched arms. He hid his face with his arms, making him look like he could have been sleeping. Fly felt that the demon's power was weakening against his will, and he found himself transformed back to his second and more easy to control form. He looked at the young man, walking over to him to talk, and that was the last anyone ever heard about either Fly or Nate, as well as the other released experiments.

~~~~~

There's the sneak peek on what I'm planning for (if I can incorporate him in the story). Now since the writing part is over, here's the art!

In total, these four drawings took me around six or seven hours (roughly/at least).