Chapter 02 - A Geisha's True Motives

The jingling of bells brought the conversations of the shinobi to an end.  Their attention was caught by the geisha that was striding in.  Rings with bells dangling from them by strands were fastened around her wrists and ankles.  The leader of the shinobi smirked at the woman that he had held captive for the past year.  

Her white and red kimono seemed to glow.  There were other geishas attempting to draw attention to themselves, but none were able to even recieve a glance with the leader’s, Gorashi’s, geisha in the room.  Many of the lesser geisha began to strike up music as the leader’s geisha shuffled her way further into the room.  Her foot thick platform shoes would be impossible for any of the other geishas to lift, but Gorashi’s was able to. 

Gorashi turned his black eyes to meet the ever-changing eyes of his geisha.  She was cold to everyone, even the other geishas.  All that Gorashi was able to get out of her was her name, Sayuri.  Her long, midnight black hair was streaming down her back and the front of the kimono while a majority of it was gracefully strung up.  The shinobi around Gorashi leaned forward as Sayuri began to dance. 

“What route did you get her on again?”  One of Gorashi’s most trusted men that were seated next to the leader questioned as the dance ended. 

“A little outside of the Fire Nation borders.”  Gorashi smirked as his geisha shuffled out of the room.  She would glance at him, not even with interest, rarely. 

“Wouldn’t mind grabbing me a piece of that.”  One of the younger ninjas glimpsed at the other geishas, finding them lesser now that he had seen Sayuri. 

“That’s the Leader’s; I suggest you stay away from her.”  The older members frowned at the young shinobi’s bold statement.  Gorashi ignored the ignorant youth’s comment.  For soon, he would be receiving the spoils of his capture. 

“More sake?”  One of the geishas approached the table calmly.  Many of the men smiled politely and waited for their glasses to be filled.  After they were filled, the room seemed to turn silent instantly.  Sayuri shuffled her way over to Gorashi.  She knew it was the big night, the night where everything would go downhill. 

“My lord, another cigarette?”  Her voice would made angels envious.  Gorashi smirked as his geisha lightly pulled out a cigarette from the case on the table, flashing her wrist, and lit it for him.  His weathered hand took the death stick from the young woman and put it to his mouth, taking a long drag. 

“What are you all staring at?”  Gorashi boomed when he noticed the whole room staring at him.  Nervous conversations broke out soon after the echo of his voice died down.  A group of geishas started to strum up a rhythm when the conversations became more natural.  A trio of younger geishas stood near the front of the room.  Shimmering fans came to live at the hands of the trained women. 

Sayuri looked on with a neutral mask on.  Her impatience was pairing with her boredom in an attempt to crack through the perfect mask of the geisha.  Through the whole night, her eyes had remained a glowing red, physical proof of her unease. 

One of the girls at the front released her fan too early, resulting in her not being able to catch it.  The room went silent as everyone turned to stare down the geisha.  Gorashi growled out in anger next to Sayuri, obviously displeased and a little drunk. 

“What is the meaning of this?”  He boomed out, making the geishas that had been performing flinch back.  “I take care of you and you return my graces by this?”  He stood and glared down at the young geisha.  Fear rolled over the girl in waves and crashed right into Sayuri.  The girl turned her tear brimmed eyes to Sayuri, begging for help.  Sayuri replied with cold eyes as she stood up and shuffled over to the unfortunate geisha.