Chapter 12 - Homestretch

Sayuri smirked as her hands flew into the air to show that her intentions were innocent.  The enemy got a maniacal smile at his victory.  Deciding to end his internal win, Sayuri leapt forward, transforming in midair.  Her teeth sunk into his throat before she flung him towards the broken building. 

A kunai flew by the wolf’s ear as it ducked to dodge the projectile.  Sayuri’s form shifted into that of her geisha as she turned around and sent an annoyed glance at Kakashi.  Kurenai was looking from Kakashi to Sayuri in worry. 

“I suggest you don’t do that.”  Kurenai mumbled as her gaze landed on the geisha with glowing red eyes. 

“Warned you that I would kill you if something happened to the Prince.”  Kakashi held up another kunai in preparation. 

“The Prince is perfectly fine.” 

Sayuri kneeled next to the Prince and rolled him over to examine the cut that he had just received.  The slight wound was healed with minimal pain and minimal effort before she stood back up and challenged the team leader.  Her vision was consumed by darkness for what felt like a split second.  When she gained her control back, she found herself pinning Kakashi to the ground while she was straddling his hips. 

“After I hunt, we will further this argument.  Meet you back at the carriage in a few hours.”  Sayuri flew off of the man and landed on the pile of rubble silently.  

Asuma retrieved the still unconscious body of the Prince before the three ninjas disappeared.  Black tinged her vision as she stumbled forward before catching herself with a shake of her head.  If it weren’t for all of the blood she had spilt in the last hour or so she wouldn’t need to go find a nice sized deer to gnaw on to sooth the ever present hunger. 

Seeing that she was wasting time, she swiftly transformed into the large eagle and took off in the opposite direction as the rest of her squad.  It wasn’t long before she found the enticing scent of deer and followed it to the fattening source.  The large raptor’s talons made short work of the hide of the deer as Sayuri caught it and consumed it in one piece. 

The bloodlust was relieved for the time being as she sat on the ground and stared up at the sky with crimson eyes. 

Something didn’t add up about the men. 

Why did the one with the Prince act like they needed to wait for someone before assaulting me?  If he was the true leader that he pretended to be he would have attempted it as soon as we made it to base.  He mentioned someone’s name, probably the one that hired the group and not the leader of the bandits.  The men that were slaughtered didn’t have any headbands that declared their loyalties either. 

Sayuri was pulled out of her inner monologue by the snapping of a twig.  Taking that as her cue, the giant bird flapped its wings once to clear the trees to soar through the soft blue sky. 

***