00 | epiphany

Little girl thought that the world was a joyous place.
Her older brother as her prince charming,
and her parents were the king and queen of all.
And she was the happy princess she was to be.

But no one told her of the monsters.
The truth almost killed her inside.
Everything burned down, and there it was—
that bittersweet feeling of epiphany.

—————

BEEP. BEEP.

Hiromi stared at her brother's fallen form with tears rimming around her large pale blue eyes. "Onii-sama?" Her voice was melodic; it could make any man fall beneath her feet. "Why are you not waking up?" Her parents were in the corner, holding each other as the doctor went in.

Beep. Beep.

"I'm terribly sorry for your loss," Mr. Ootori lied through his teeth, angered that he couldn't save his patient. 'This will lose my reputation,' he thought, placing a finger on his chin. "There is nothing we can do for him anymore."

Beep. Beep.

"Mommy, why did Onii-sama lie?" Her mother looked at her with sadness and regret. Her father waltzed his way to the duo, and patted her hair, as if saying that everything will be alright.

It wasn't.

"He's... in a better place. Your brother loves to sleep so much that he made sure to sleep forever," he explained, minimizing the details. "Sleep..." she whispered, "why is there marks on his arms?"

Beep. Beep.

Her mother sighed. "That's another story for when your older."

How I wished I wasn't that naive before.