Chapter Four - What Kind of Fool

**Early update! Another update will definitely be out next Friday, and I may also still do another chapter on Tuesday. Either way, enjoy!**

Friday hasn't come fast enough. 

Clawd is sitting in the courtyard just outside the college, waiting. His classes for the day are already over. Now, he's waiting for Draculaura. 

He doesn't remember the last time he was this nervous. Maybe when he took his ACTs? No, this was worse. Much worse. 

It was easy for other werewolves, to go on dates with their mates. Other werewolves all mated within their species. And then there's Clawd. He doesn't understand why his mate is a vampire, a creature that he can't explain their connection to. 

He believes that maybe this is the Moon Goddess's way of punishing him for skipping his brother's birthday party for that high school party during his senior year. Maybe it's to prove that family is more important than your own fun?

He isn't sure. Either way, he's upset about it. Draculaura is his mate, and there is absolutely no chance that she feels the same pull to him that he feels to her. Vampires don't mate with werewolves. 

Vampires mate with vampires. 

Werewolves mate with werewolves. 

He tries not to imagine life without a mate, what life will be like if he can't make the beautiful vampire fall for him. 

"Hey, Clawd," Draculaura greets. 

He stands quickly, whirling around to face her. "Hi," he breathes. "You look... lovely," he says. In a pink, long-sleeved shirt, black leggings, and a white skirt, she looks the way a refreshing breeze feels on a hot summer day. 

She hugs her books to her chest, smiling softly. "Thank you. You look nice," she says. 

Clawd glances downward, a quick reminder that he's wearing dark jeans and a flannel shirt. "Thanks," he says as he lifts his gaze back to Draculaura's face. He adjusts his blue ballcap on his head. "You ready to go?" he asks. She nods. "So, there's this nice diner downtown. They have vegetarian options, too, so don't worry about that." 

"You know I'm a vegetarian?" she asks, tilting her head to look up at him as they walk toward the parking lot. 

"Of course. I asked my sister. I had to know where you would want to eat," Clawd says. 

"Huh. Well, thank you. You didn't have to go to all that trouble," she says. 

"Trouble? It was no problem at all," he says. "Do you want me to take your books?" he asks. 

"Hmm? Oh, no, I'm fine." 

"You sure?" 

She nods. "I'm a little stronger than I look," she assures. "They're not that heavy, Wolf," she adds. 

He rubs the back of his neck. "Sorry." 

"Don't be. It's nice of you to care about me so much," she says. She bumps her hip against his. "Nice to have someone fuss over you every now and then," she says. 

He knows that, deep down, something inside of her is hurting from some past adventure. He assumes it's her heart, but he isn't sure. It's the way she holds herself, the way she talks. She holds herself like she isn't quite sure about those around her, Clawd included. 

She talks like everything generous or kind is brand new, something she's never experienced before. 

Clawd just wants to know what kind of fool would've broken the delicate vampire's heart.