Chapter Fifteen - My Eyes

A year after Clawd had graduated, Draculaura walks across the same stage, diploma in hand. After the ceremony, her father greets her with a hug. "I am so proud of you, Princess," he murmurs. 

Draculaura squeezes him back. "Thanks, Daddy." When she steps away from him, Clawd pulls her into a hug and kisses her forehead. "Hi," she greets. 

"Hi." He smiles. "After supper with your dad and my parents, I have a surprise for you," he says. 

She feels herself smile. "Okay. Awesome." 

***

That evening, after supper, Clawd sits Draculaura down on the couch. "Stay," he says, holding out both hands. 

Draculaura raises an eyebrow. "I've never had a dog tell me to stay before," she says. 

He laughs. "That's good. Stay," he says again. He hurries out of the room and heads for the bedroom. When he comes down and kneels in front of her, both knees digging into the area rug. He folds his arms over Draculaura's thighs. "I know you didn't want anything big or extravagant, and I don't either. Our personal life is for us, not everyone else." He lifts one hand, holding a small black box between his thumb and first two fingers. "Will you marry me?" he asks. 

Draculaura takes the box from him and opens it. A small pink diamond rests delicately on a black engagement band. "Yes," she whispers. Clawd leans up and kisses her, soft and loving. When he pulls back, he grabs the ring and slides it onto the vampire's ring finger. "I love you," she says, laying her left hand on his cheek. 

The coldness of her ring on his skin causes him to smile. "I love you more," he says.

***

The following June, a year later, the vampire and werewolf are set to be wed. Draculaura had always wanted a June wedding, and Clawd, because he loves her, agrees with it. It's warm, but not hot. There are no clouds in the sky. No sight of rain or thunderstorms that sometimes come with a mid-western summer. 

The sun is just above the horizon, maybe thirty minutes from setting. It sets the sky in a beautiful orange, pink, and purple undertone. Draculaura loves it. The altar faces the audience, and the audience faces the sunset. It will give the wedding pictures something beautiful in the background--the sunset--and something even more beautiful in the foreground--the happy couple. 

Pink and blue rose petals are spread all over the aisle that Draculaura will walk down. They've been dampened ever so slightly, something that will prevent them from crunching beneath the sharp point of her heels. 

Standing at the altar is Clawd. He's dressed in a white tux with a pink tie, one that matches the accent on his soon-to-be-wife's dress. He's alone for now, as his best man and groomsmen won't be with him until the song starts playing. He's nervous, his hands folded at his waist. His heart is beating so fast that he's afraid it may just explode. 

In the building at the other end of the aisle, Draculaura blows out a wavering breath. She can't remember the last time she was this nervous. She shakes her hands out before reaching up and straightening out her necklace. Her mother had picked it out for her before she was born. When she turned four, Dracula had given it to her. 

It's lined with little pink sapphires, something she's treasured for well over a thousand years. Next to Clawd and her father, it means the world to her. She catches her breath as the music finally starts outside. "Oh, no," she whispers. Out of the corner of her eye, she can see the guests stand up. 

Dracula loops his arm through hers. "Relax, Princess," he says softly. "You love him, he loves you."

"Yeah," she breathes. She laughs quietly, nervously. "I know." 

Pawllie, Clawd's youngest sister at the age of four, skips down the aisle, tossing white rose petals in her wake. 

"You're okay, girl. Promise," Clawdeen says as she stops beside the vampire. "Don't worry. We're all here." She watches as Heath loops arms with Abby. Heath, Clawd's best man, had begged to walk down with his girlfriend. Draculaura had allowed it without a second thought. 

Clawdeen winks at Draculaura before looping arms with Thad, Draculaura's cousin, and walking down the either. Lagoona and Gil are next, quickly followed by Cleo and Deuce. 

Frankie Stein had wanted to come, but she and Holt Hyde/Jackson Jekyll were on their own honeymoon. 

"Are you ready, Princess?" Dracula asks. 

Draculaura swallows roughly. "Don't let me fall," she whispers. 

"Never," he murmurs. 

At the altar, Clawd's posture straightens the exact second that his eyes land on the love of his life. He rolls his shoulders back as his golden honey eyes lock with her violet ones. He's grinning, his fangs digging into his bottom lip. 

God, she's beautiful. 

At the end of the aisle, Dracula pulls his only daughter into a tight hug. "I am so proud of you, Princess," he whispers. His Transylvanian accent is much thicker than usual, something that lets the girl know that her father's about to cry. He pulls back and smiles warmly. He places his daughter's hand in Clawd's and pats the werewolf's shoulder. He nods once before turning and heading to his seat. 

"You're so beautiful," Clawd whispers. 

"You're not so bad yourself, Mister Wolf," Draculaura breathes. He smiles as they take two steps forward to meet the priest. The priest smiles at the couple before he tells the guests to be seated. 

The ringing in Draculaura's ears is enough to silence the words of the priest. She can't bring herself to listen until Clawd says her name. 

"Laura, you're my soulmate, my best friend. You're the love of my life, and the only woman that I've ever loved. When I first met you, I was just a bartender and you were a rich vampire dancing away some heartbreak in my bar. You took my breath away, and... I wondered how I had lived this long without you." He reaches up to brush a thumb over her pale cheek. "You're my life, my soul, my breath, my heart. You are everything I've ever wished for in the most beautiful package. Thank you for letting me have you to hold... forever," he says. 

The vampire smiles in an attempt to keep herself from crying. "Clawd Wolf, I love you with everything I have. I've spent a thousand years looking for the man that would love me as much as I love him, but I never expected to find someone as amazing and perfect as you, yet... here we are." She sniffs, blinking to keep the tears at bay. "You make me feel beautiful, even on my worst days. You're by my side every moment of every day, and you never let me feel alone. You're the love of my life, and you were so worth waiting for. I will always be faithful to you, whether you be sick, healthy, or plain stupid. I will continue to support your hopes and dreams, and as long as you are at my side, I will always be the one vampire in this world with a soul to feel. For the rest of my life, you are the only one that I am ever going to want or need, Clawd Wolf, because no one can compare to you." 

She manages to hold her tears back as the ceremony continues. She almost faints when she slides the wedding band onto the wolf's finger, and when Clawd slides the elegant diamond ring onto her finger, she feels as though she could die. 

As the priest pronounces them man and wife, Clawd leans in and presses his lips to hers, kissing her softly. It's something simple, and yet it holds so much tenderness and passion that it completely baffles the petite vampire. The guests stand and clap for the newlyweds, but neither pay them any attention. Draculaura is focused solely on her husband. Clawd Wolf is focused on only one thing, and that's his vampire.

***

Draculaura's arms are wrapped around Clawd's neck, his around her waist as they sway to My Eyes by The Lumineers. Her head rests gently on his chest as they dance. "I hope you know how stunning you are," Clawd murmurs, his head lowered by her ear. 

She smiles. "Thank you," she whispers. "I hope you know how breathtaking you are," she says. 

He chuckles. "Thank you." 

"I love you, Clawd." 

"And I you," he murmurs.