Chapter Five - Untraditional

"Do you have any idea what you're gonna get?" Clawd asks, looking at Draculaura over the top of his menu. "I've heard good things about all of the dishes at this place. You can't go wrong," he says. 

She lifts her eyes to his face, tilting her head to the side. "I... am ordering for myself?" she asks. 

"Of course you are. This isn't the 1920s, Draculaura. You can order for yourself," he says. His brow furrows. "You've never been allowed to, have you?" 

She shakes her head, smiling softly. "What can I say? I was raised within a very traditional family," she says.

"Well, I'm not very traditional," he says. 

"I know. If you were, you wouldn't be on a date with a vampire," she reminds. 

He feels himself smile nervously. She isn't wrong. "Right," he says softly. 

"I think I'm enjoying being nontraditional," Draculaura admits, her purple eyes focused on Clawd. "Thanks for introducing me to the... simpler side of life," she adds. 

"No trouble at all." 

Lunch had gone over smoothly. Clawd and Draculaura always had something to talk about. Football, writing, college, family. They were never bored with each other. It was nice. 

Later that night, at the football game, Clawd hadn't been able to take his eyes of Draculaura. Her very presence had practically demanded his attention. Clawd had never played a game so well in his life, and he knew it wasn't because of the full moon. 

Now, at nearly two in the morning, he can't sleep. He hears Health's light snores on the bunk above his, but he can't sleep. He finds that he can't get the purple-eyed vampire out of his head. Everything about her is simply perfect

How could he stop thinking about her? 

With a sigh, he leans over the side of the bottom bunk and grabs his phone off the floor. He plugs in his headphones and slides them over his ears. He turns on his music, selecting his usual country station. A song by Lee Brice comes on, something that causes him to smile. He lays back against his pillow, his arms shoved behind his head. 

At an appropriate morning hour, he sends a text to Draculaura. 

Good morning. 

Morning!

How're you feeling after the game? 

Good. Not too sore. What about you, fearleader?

Great.

You played an amazing game, Clawd. 

Thanks.

So... would you like to go out for coffee?

Do you drink coffee?

Lol, of course I drink coffee. 

I'd love to. When?

Tomorrow morning? Say... eight o'clock?

Lovely. I'll see you then, Clawd.